Bobbin loops

I'm having the same issue with loops on the back. This especially happens at the points and I almost come to a stop I'm going so slowly as I approach them. I'll check my bobbin spring-I do see some backlash in the bobbin/casing when I take it out to check it. I've play w/top/bottom tensions till I'm blue in the face. BTW-I have a Millie. I shouldn't have to rip every quilt I do for Pete's sake!

I think I blew it on this post........sorry

Sorry for your problems.

First thing to look at is the backlash spring. Are the fingers pried out enough to stop the bobbin rotation? Pry them out a bit and do a test stitch-out to see if that helps. This will affect the bobbin tension, tightening it. So be sure to adjust the bobbin tension before you stitch again.

Are you using a heavy thread? Go up a needle size.

Are there loops on the back, or just thread pull-through? If there are actual loops, it's a backlash issue. If they are thread pull-through (one long, flat stitch of top thread) generally, that means your bobbin tension is too tight. Loosen it and test-stitch.

Many people like both top and bottom thread tension to be really tight--but balanced. I like to set both a little looser--but balanced. It seems to help with thread breakage and stops those long point stitches.

Sewer's Aid on both top and bottom thread might also help, especially if you are using a heavy weight thread.

Archived