Help! skipped stitches

So,

I hit a button...yes that is right a button while quilting. To be more specific I hit a metal button that was on a bib I appliqued to a baby t-shirt quilt. I was upset about something and didn't stop the computerized machine in time. At the time it didn't seem to cause trouble. I moved on and finished the quilt with no issues.

I was about to load my first customer quilt, but felt I needed to make sure everything was ok so I loaded a muslin sandwich to quilt the new pattern i had bought and was going to use on the customer quilt and I put in a new needle. I am skipping stitches pretty badly. There are needle holes. I tried swapping the needle out with the old one and it seemed to be better so then I thought maybe that was it, but I swapped it out a few times and now whatever needle i put in its a problem.

I attempted to adjust the needle bar height and I think I did it well. The problem hasn't gone away. Should I move on and retime my machine now(hook assembly) Can that part get messed up even if the needle never went down into the machine at the time of impact?

I am so terrified that I won't fix this soon and I can't start a customer quilt(my very first and all batik) if I feel like my machine isn't working properly. I feel so dumb about not being careful. I knew that stupid metal button was there, but it was like it happened in slow motion:(

Help!

Archived