Restarting after a thread break/shred help

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone would mind describing how they restart a quilt pattern after a thread break or shredding issue. I am unhappy with both the appearance and security when I've run into this issue. I have been pulling out the stitches until I have enough length to knot and bury and then restarting about 3 stitches back from the end to secure both the end and the beginning of the new stitching. But the bobbin area just looks bad...lots of loose threads and it looks like a nest...

Should I do something different? And does anyone have a pic of the bottom and top when they restart so I can see what I should be striving for.? I am concerned first that it looks bad and second that it may not be secure enough.

I am working on my first customer quilt....it is all batiks and I tried to go to a smaller needle to minimize the holes on the backing as I think it looks ...well not good, not like normal cotton. I'm actually pretty stressed as I don't feel it's up to the quality work that I want to present especially for the first time. I don't want them to think I stink.

Any advice would be appreciated...

Guest Linda S

Jen - I pick my stitches out until I'm back near a seam intersection. I then will knot and bury the thread there. I then sink my needle in the seam intersection, pull my thread up, back tack by a stitch or two over the previous stitching and then carry on in the direction I was going. Are you pulling your thread back up when you restart your stitching? The problem you're having sounds like you may be forgetting to do that. You shouldn't have any loops from re-starting.

First--the issue of thread breaks and shredding. Go up a needle size. Yes, even on batiks. The needle holes, which will lessen after a wash, are less distracting than the problem you are having with starts and stops. If that isn't the issue, loosen up both top and bottom tension a bit and loosen the top on the rollers so there is a bit of slack.

When the thread breaks, you can undo stitches until there is enough to knot and bury. There shouldn't be anything showing on the back when you do this technique. Needle down and pull up your thread about four stitches before the end--going into the hole. Then use the needleup/down to slowly walk over those four stitches, matching the length of the stitch and hitting the same holes. If you hold the button down the needle up/down will slowly make the stitches. Stop at the last stitch and you are set up to continue the design. Knot and bury the beginning threads. Again, nothing should show on the back. You will have four double stitches but they are hard to find.

Just for information--I am too lazy to knot and bury any threads. I start and stop with multiple tiny stitches. When I pick out stitches, I go back to a point or a seam line. Then I start again with the "four stitches back" technique. None of my stuff goes to the big shows so I'm happy with this procedure.

I think the issue I'm having is that I'm retracing some of my stitches with the intent to secure the two intersecting stitching lines. I am knotting and burying after pulling out enough thread and then knotting and burying on the restart. I am remembering to pull up th bobbin thread.

Is my problem that I shouldn't retrace some of the stitches...should I just start after the very last stitch? To avoid the clump? I am using a computer so I'm repositioning to get the computer back on pattern...maybe there is a smarter way to do what I am trying to do.

Going back to a seam makes a ton of sense. When this one is off I will take a pic to show you what is happening.

I am having to use a 19 on the batiks as the 18 was getting shred. I'm using omni top and bottom. I can't have tHe stops and starts so I agree I needed to move to a needle that wouldn't cause shredding but it is disappointing because the back does not look very good in my opinion because of the large holes and I do not think my customer will wash it before giving it as a gift...she is very nice but I wish it looked nicer even though I think she will understand.

Linda and Linda both give good advice relating to stops and starts and broken thread.

Regarding the needle holes, I haven't tried this but a friend recently told me that spray sizing (not starch) will shrink the needle holes so you might try a light spritz of it and see if it helps.

Archived