Machine and panto ergonomics question

Does anyone have suggestions to help me maneuver my machine around when doing pantos that will be less aggravating to tennis elbow? I'm trying to keep from having to get injections again (excessive atrophy from them), and I'm not finding quite the right grip or position to help guide the machine (it's my right elbow that I have issues with). I do a row, walk away for quite awhile, etc. - this throw I'm doing is taking forever! Anyone else have problems with tendonitis and what you've done?

The classic remedy is rest, of course. Maybe we have a physical therapist on the forum who can help.

My cure for an achey shoulder and intermittent pain doing micro work was upgrading to the Bliss. Kind of expensive but I truly believe it has extended my quilting years by 10.

Another thought--many have shared their favorite grip and stance for stitching pantos. Perhaps one of then is easier on the right elbow. I stand to the left/back, use my left hand on the left handle and my right hand grips the back of the machine housing. Someone posted long ago that they mounted a drawer handle on the back of the housing to grip with their right hand when doing pantos. And some grip the left handle with their right hand and brace the left hand on the top roller. This won't help your right elbow, though...

Ron Moorehead (R&S Designs) has his new panto/pattern board camera system ready for sale to APQS owners. He came over last weekend and measured my machine. It has a camera and stylus mounting with a 7" monitor and separate power pack that all attach easily. Pantos from the front might be the solution to your problem.:)

Have you tried one of the tennis elbow "bands" that they sell at drugstores? There's usually some sort of pad to put pressure on a certain muscle group. My "quilter's elbow" flares up once in a while, and this seems to help. Little less money than the Bliss, but I'd also recommend that. Wish I could tell you a brand name, or an actual title for the product, but I don't have the box anymore.

I get flair-ups of tennis elbow, too. Mine was originally caused by knitting. I stand at the back of the machine and grip the left handle with my right hand. I stand to the left of the head. My arm is bent in the same position and my body sways to follow the laser light. It works for me, unless I quilt for too long without stretching.

Good luck with finding a position that feels good to you.

Guest Linda S

I do as Sandra does also. I keep my elbow tightly tucked to my waist, so it doesn't do a whole lot of moving. My hips, on the other hand, do a lot of dancing. Another thought for you - at a lot of the major quilt shows now, you will usually see a booth with a big sign that says, "Got Back Pain?" It is generally a group selling TENS units - electronic muscle stimulators. I had one that I bought at a show that was pretty nice. I foolishly gave it to someone I thought was my friend, but I did end up getting a nice one in physical therapy. I cannot tell you the relief you can get from placing those pads near the painful muscle or tendon and letting the pulse of current run through it. I used mine quite a bit while I was recovering from my three-level spinal fusion and I don't know what I would have done without it. Best part? No drugs to make you loopy!

Thanks, all, for your ideas. I've tried most but will try to tuck my arm against my side and do the hip sway ;). I have a tens unit from back surgery p.t. and I'm going to get that out and see if I can get it to work on my arm. I had trouble with my left elbow for two years because the injections caused terrible atrophy that Dr. said they don't normally see. So I'm trying to hold off and not go through that with the right one now. But something is going to have to give.

Again, thanks for the ideas. I'm off to dig in a drawer and hopefully quickly locate the tens.

Archived