question about wholesale

Thanks Linda for the information on the blade sharpener. I guess I will have to look around for the best price since I am not able to buy wholesale. Which brings me to another question for you. I don't really have a business but thought about it and was wondering if it is fesable to just go ahead and get a sale tax number so that I can buy wholesale? Most of what I do is donations of the projects I do and an occasional thing for some one else. Not very confidant I guess you could say to move into a business. The business isn't very good where I am anyways. What is everyones opinion on the wholesale aspect?

Hi Bonnie. Starting an official business just to purchase wholesale is not usually a good idea. In order to continue as a business you eventually have to show that it IS a business and not a hobby. The penalties are sometimes burdensome.

If you have a friend with a business license, perhaps you can piggyback with them for some purchases. Superior Thread at the machine quilting shows usually offer their products at near-wholesale prices. Another thing to consider is most wholesalers have a minimum purchase required. EESchenk requires $250 on your first visit and $150 per order after that. They are true wholesalers to shops and on-line sellers and don't like to cater to dabblers.

J Hittle is a good wholesaler. Fabric Depot has a different take on "wholesale" purchases--anything they sell in wholesale quantities gets a nice discount. Full bolts of fabric, 6 packs of marking pens, needles, Sewer's Aid, etc are all discounted when you place an order to their wholesale dept. And shopping around on-line can find you deals--whether on Amazon for the blade sharpener or my fave--Sewthankful for single cones of thread or packs of pre-wound bobbins.

Archived