Rulers for Longarm

Hi Teri and welcome!

Most pros recommend that you don't buy a lot of gadgets and goodies at first--allow yourself time to learn your machine and decide what style of quilting calls your name.

One small rectangular ruler will suffice until you decide if you like or need to do ruler work.

Glide is good thread--go to the topic page for "threads" and delve into the archives.

So Fine is a favorite for thin thread, as well as BottomLine. Both are from Superior.

Metro is great for thicker and shinier poly thread--our machines love it!

One well-loved longarmer here on the forum uses MaxiLock almost exclusively and with great success (not the serger thread).

Suppliers all depend on whether you have a business license and thus can set up a wholesale account. Just starting out I imagine you aren't ready to place a big enough order for most wholesalers so I can recommend--

www.sewthankful.com for good prices on Superior Thread and a source for rulers.

Check the archives as well (type rulers in the search box and set the duration of search back a year) and you will get a probably confusing array of recommendations for rulers. Check out all the sites you can for the best prices.

If you are close to a big quilt show, shop the vendors and see what you can't live without--but set a budget for each category so you don't go bonkers!!

Linda has given you some very good advice. I have had my machine for only a little over two years and at first I started to go a little overboard and then found that some of the things I bought I have never used. Also, she often gives great advice on everything from a-z so as always she again has "threaded the needle" on this one to put a quilting pun on it.

Go slow and learn what you like to do and then purchase those item and read this forum daily to get great info on all different items and brands is my advice to you.

Mary

Teri, when I got my machine I got the expanded base and rectangle ruler so I could stitch in the ditch. I have not purchased anything else yet because I am not sure what I need...meaning I don't want something that I won't use. I see all the quilts on here that rulers were used on so now it is just a matter of time, I am sure. But they are expensive, I think, and I want to make sure. I have had my machine almost one year now. As for thread, I had only used Superior's Omni but am just now using my first cone of Glide and I love it....very shiny! I like the Omni, too.

I am really a newbie, newbie at this, but I have almost 12 quilts of my own that I have used for practice done. As I go along, I get more adventurous. I bought my machine used and the very nice lady included all the thread and gadgets she had. I have been learning by the "seat of my pants", anyway there are a lot of the items already in the included items--I just didn't know what or how to use them. The learning curve has been rather steep, but lots and lots of fun. I know from past experience with other areas that I have attempted to master, a lot of gadgets and just "have to have" items are good only for such limited use that the money invested is never paid off.

Archived