THREAD GUIDE REPLACEMENTS ???

I've read that some of you have replaced your thread guides with ceramic fishing line "eyes" and wondered what kind you used. I went online and there are hundreds of different kinds. Also, how did you attach them? The APQS guides have a loop area where the screw holds the guide on to the machine, but all the fishing line eyes I found didn't have a loop for a screw to go through.

Thanks !!!!

Guest Linda S

Hi Linda - I bought mine from Cabela's - make sure you get the kind that have the hardened ceramic insides. They are designed so that fishing line cannot wear through them, even with a heavy fish on the end of heavy fishing line, so you know they can stand up to quilting thread! I get small washers at the hardware store and solder the little tab on the fishing line guide to the washer (super glue may work too), and then just put the screw through the eye of the washer. The only "drawback" of the fishing line guide is that you can't insert your thread from the side as you're threading, but I always re-thread my machine by breaking the thread at the back cone holder, tying on the new thread, and just pulling it through the thread path to the needle. No worries about not having side entrance pigtails in that case.

I haven't replaced my pigtails, but have added the ceramic fishing pole guides (from Cabela's) in between the present guides. I have one in the long path after the first 3 hole guide, another one above the L guide and the third one across from the second going back down to the needle. I have them held there with strips of carpet tape, that was going to be temporary to see how they worked. Haven't changed it and I think it helps control the whipping of the thread.

The guides were about a $1.00 at Cabela's.

Originally posted by Neher-in-law5

I haven't replaced my pigtails, but have added the ceramic fishing pole guides (from Cabela's) in between the present guides. I have one in the long path after the first 3 hole guide, another one above the L guide and the third one across from the second going back down to the needle. I have them held there with strips of carpet tape, that was going to be temporary to see how they worked. Haven't changed it and I think it helps control the whipping of the thread.

The guides were about a $1.00 at Cabela's.

That's a great idea to add more guides to help with the thread whipping.. Some are worse than others at that. Changing colors isn't a problem, as I tied off the end of the previous color to the end of the new color and pull all the way through. Sometimes it will even go through the needle eye. I'm going to buy a few extra "eyes" and do that too ! I suppose a dot of supper glue or hot glue would work to hold them on as well as the tape. A little strip of he silver duck tape wouldn't show much either.

Guest Linda S

Wow - if you managed to get the ceramic lined guides for $1.00, you must really know where to shop. They are definitely not cheap. A word on attaching them -- you have to be careful. The thread paths we have now are fairly well engineered and when the thread whips around, it can catch in any tape, glue, or rough edge that is left exposed. That's why I attached mine to a washer and made sure it tucked down under that nice rounded-head screw on the machine. You don't want your thread getting hung up on the guide.

Guest Linda S

These are the guides I got at Cabelas - they are Pacific Bay Titanium Carbide Single Foot guides. The inside ring is zirconia ceramic. The size 6 guide sells for $3.39 each.

post--13461908866825_thumb.jpg

Archived