Piecing Cinco de Mayo

Has anyone here pieced Karen K. Stone's Cinco de Mayo? If so, I have a question about how to piece one aspect of the quilt. Or, if anyone has the book...does it show how to piece the little "frames" around the spikes? I got the DVD, thinking it would be the same information as the book. But, it doesn't have any piecing tips. I will buy the book if I know for sure it has instructions for the frames. I've already spent way too much on fabric to abandon the project now! Thanks.

The software doesn't assign letters to the blocks. I started with the block at the top left. The triangles have a little strip of contrasting fabric around them like small frames. Coming off the top of the triangle "frames" there is a line, indicating a seam. In traditional piecing, it would be a Y seam. I don't know how to accomplish this seam on the paper foundation. You can't just sew it straight across, like you would traditional piecing (I tried that!) because it doesn't come out to a point that way. I can't figure out how she does that seam when you have the pieces sewn onto the paper foundation. (Clear as mud, huh? That's the way I feel about how you would do that little seam!)

Thanks, Lyn

Archived