Need help with quilting designs "Crown of Thorns"

Hi, I finally finished the Judy Niemeyer "Crown of Thorns" I have been working on for the past 2 weeks. I have it on the frame. Now I am completely stumped on how this should be quilted. I think SID in the border. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

I have more pictures but I am only able to attach one at a time.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

post--13492895125119_thumb.jpg

Wow! You worked on this for only two weeks? Fantastic! JN quilts can possess your life and your sewing room for a long time!!

For the quilting--thread to match the light gold and in each circle or circle segment stitch a spiral or partial spiral until you reach the base of the spikes. The spiral doesn't have to be perfect or very dense--it can even squiggle a bit. When you get to the spikes, a smooth wavy line from the base to the point and back the other side all around. The surrounding arcs can be ribbon candy, shallow spikes that follow the pieceing (going from the inside seam intersection of one piece to the opposite side diagonally all around) or another spiral to fill the arcs.

Those four pinched diamonds in the center are a lovely place for showing off. Whatever you decide for those spots can set the tone for the purple patches that surround the circles. Feathers? Scrolls? A pretty overall? Big quarter-circles with a filler to mimic the circles in the center?

The top is lovely--the colors sing to me! Have fun and post pics when you finish, please.

Archived