What needle size to use?

Duster, I'm sure you'll get different answers on this. I can only speak from experience when I quilted my sons batik quilt. I pre washed all of the batiks before piecing and used a 4.0 needle. I started with a 3.5 but the needle broke so I went up a size. I did have to slow down a bit while quilting and also made sure that the sandwich was not stretched too tight on the frame. It came out great and no further issues after I went up a needle size. I used Essential Pro thread top and bottom and Hobbs wool batting. You'll do great! Please share a picture when done.

Superior Thread has a lot of information on their site. As a rule, the needle size is matched to the thread weight. You can use any weight thread with any fabric/batting combo but realize that some adjustments are necessary. King Tut is thick and even with batiks, go up to a 4.5 if you have one. Tut is freaky--loops on the back and occasional breakage are my usual problems. Top tension is tighter than you would normally stitch and the bobbin a bit looser. Sewer's Aid is a must--and as Carol advised--back off on the roller a bit.

If you have concerns about wool batting--it compresses under the hopping foot so usually no adjustment is necessary. If you want to use puffy poly, sometimes the hopping foot needs to be raised to accommodate that.

I always take the position that you should do what you think best and if it doesn't work, adjust from there. To tell you the truth, I changed down to a size 16 titanium needle about a month after I got my machine and I've never used anything else. I do have some 18s if I think I need them, but I haven't needed them yet!

Archived