Move to Missouri

Hey Mary Beth....

I've been wondering what kind of winters you usually get there? I was surprised hear of the trouble there. Although, on the news we are seeing reports of snow in California!! This might show my ignorance...but would many people there have experience driving in such weather?

We have the ice, too, this week and I just noticed the wind picking up and the ice is starting to crackle and fall off the trees, hope we don't lose any more branches. Well, in our area winter took a long time to get here, so I guess the good news is that spring won't be too far away (I hope)!!!

Springfield usually gets hit with some pretty good weather. I have seen many ice storms that coat the trees, bending them completely to the ground. It is pretty, but usually just pretty terrible. They loss of electricity means not heat, and in some cases in the rural areas no water because they rely on wells. There is also the loss of food in refrigerators and freezers. I think it has been a few years since they were hit this hard with ice. Last year they had several inches of snow fall. We are 3 hours north and it seems to miss us every time...knock on wood. We do have ice, but it has not stopped too many people and it sure has not hurt our economy like it has Sprigfield.

Mary Beth:

We came here looking at houses the weekend they had the record snowfall here and now the ice.

Moving to a different state is almost like starting over completely with the business. I had to file with the MO Secretary of State to get my fictitious name (Sunshine Quilts), then after I got that, file with the revenue department for my retail permit, then file with the City of Nevada for the license I need here. Yesterday was spent getting our new driver's licenses and license plates.

I think we're pretty much official and legal now . . except I still have KY plates on my vehicle because we threw away the front license plate holder and had to order a new one from a Honda dealer.

The people here have been so friendly . . even at the driver's license office. I'm not sure we've ever lived where the people were friendly there.

So far, I think I'll be happy if we never leave here! But I will be very happy (and so will the dachshund) to see the ground again. This ice has been here for almost a full week and they weather man is saying it will snow 3 - 5 inches this weekend.

Guest Linda S

Judy - I'm so glad you like it there. I've been enjoying reading your blog over the past few weeks and am glad you're settling in. I also hope that the zoning/tax laws are much better for you in Missouri. I remember they weren't so good in Kentucky!

Linda

Archived