Janome Horizon MC 8900 or 8200 anyone tried them?

Hi, all,

I just broke my Viking Quilt Designer 2, and don't want to put a lot more money into it since they don't make the D-cards (like floppies) any more. So I am wondering about the new Janome horizon 8900 and 8200. I was reading on PatternReview.com that some were noticing that with their 1/4 inch foot, that using the single hole needle plate, the 1/4 inch was not a scant 1/4 inch but a huge 1/4 inch? Has anyone tried these machines or bought one? Dealer is an hour away, and other brands are more than an hour away and in the opposite direction!

Any opinions would be appreciated!

Janome brought out these two machines to replace the 6500, 6600 and 7700 machines.

Pity, I only bought my 7700 last year, If I had waited a year then I would have bought one of these in a heartbeat. I have had no problems with my 6600 or the 7700 although other did.

The 8900 has a quick remove foot plate, no screwdriver needed. The 1/4" foot is a lot neater design than the old 1/4" foot and you can always move your needle to your own preferred scant 1/4" and the machine will remember that stitch for you.

I love the free motion foot with its interchangeable feet. They have a new walking foot that is no longer built in. Needle up/down, thread cutter wouldn't be without it, locking stitch so many more features. Free arm.

Yes I love my Janomes.

whew! buying a new sewing machine is worse than buying a new car! After all, when buying a new car (as usual with hubby) I can always blame part of it on him if the one we pick could have been better! There are so many things new technologies to learn about, test, figure out if one really needs them etc.etc. and the prices are so significant! Everyone says that one should bring along everything you think is important to sew and see if you like the machine. Let's see, by the time I try them all, I will have made a king size quilt and bound it, never mind trying lots of the decorative stitching.

Is it me or do other quilt enthusiasts, and regular sewers have information overload like I do just looking to see what is out there now??? :blink: I have janome, elna, bernina, babylock,pfaff, viking, and even brother if I wish to drive a bit. Heavens!!!!

thanks you for your input! I have read the other threads about " what is your favorite machine and everyone loves every different kind :lol:

• 4 months later...

whew! buying a new sewing machine is worse than buying a new car! After all, when buying a new car (as usual with hubby) I can always blame part of it on him if the one we pick could have been better! There are so many things new technologies to learn about, test, figure out if one really needs them etc.etc. and the prices are so significant! Everyone says that one should bring along everything you think is important to sew and see if you like the machine. Let's see, by the time I try them all, I will have made a king size quilt and bound it, never mind trying lots of the decorative stitching.

Is it me or do other quilt enthusiasts, and regular sewers have information overload like I do just looking to see what is out there now??? :blink: I have janome, elna, bernina, babylock,pfaff, viking, and even brother if I wish to drive a bit. Heavens!!!!

thanks you for your input! I have read the other threads about " what is your favorite machine and everyone loves every different kind :lol:

You got that right! So many things to compare and contrast when you're looking to get a new machine.

I have the Janome 6500P in my sights right now - it looks like such a capable and powerful machine.

Before I decide to take the plunge, though, I thoughts I'd see whether anyone here has any thoughts (good or bad) on it.

Anyone here using / has used the 6500p??

I will go to my local dealer to see the machine face to face in a few week,s but just wanted some opinions before I go.

Thanks

Rhumia

You got that right! So many things to compare and contrast when you're looking to get a new machine.

I have the Janome 6500P in my sights right now - it looks like such a capable and powerful machine.

Before I decide to take the plunge, though, I thoughts I'd see whether anyone here has any thoughts (good or bad) on it.

Anyone here using / has used the 6500p??

I will go to my local dealer to see the machine face to face in a few week,s but just wanted some opinions before I go.

Thanks

Rhumia

I spent a bit of time on Amazon checking out some reviews. Also read this review on the Janome 6500P, which seems to be quite positive.

Any thoughts you guys could lend would be most helpful - I don't wanna spend $1000+ without hearing some hearty receommendations!

:)

Thanks

Rhumia

Archived