Labels on T shirt quilts

I have always asked my customers if they would like me to make and attach a label to the back of their quilt. 100% of these tee shirt/memory quilt customers have said NO! I offered to do this free for them and have encouraged the documentation, but the answer has always been no. I explained the label would say the words they want on it, but they all felt labels would be ugly on their quilts. I even sent them pictures of various labels I put on my quilts and quilts I made to give to others as gifts. Some of these labels were hand written, some were done on the computer and a few we're embroidered. The answer was still no. I just had a lady tell me no as recently as yesterday. The tee shirt quilt is of her daughter's college days and will be a bridal shower gift in March for her. The daughter is from PA and is living in AK with her Military boyfriend. I tried to talk her into a label for this quilt, but she was firm about not wanting one.

So, I would suggest you get permission from your customer first. She might be really upset about it. Ya never know! I'm still surprised every time I am told no about labels. Oh, and I wasn't even adding my name to it as the piecer or quilter. Go figure!!!

Do you mean, it's a quilt fully made by you for a customer? I think it's appropriate but the customer has the last say. In all fairness, all hands that worked on it should be included even if you were paid for your services.

Editing to add after Sandra's post--Sandra's customers seem to be non-quilters who have no idea of the importance of the label documentation. But they're the boss. Hard to believe they wouldn't at least want names, dates, and purpose of the gift to be on the back--if only to have a sure claim if the quilt is stolen. I believe this is very prevalent on campus (the theft of a "school colors" quilt) and what a shame to lose such a treasure!

Yes it would be a quilt I did completely by me and guess I will ask the customer , she is having a label embrodiered on her quilt that I am doing. didn't kn ow if that was something you asked or just did. I usually put my name and the year somewhere inconspicious on the quilt that blends in but you can still find it. Thanks for the info.!

Linda, I totally agree! I know it is about educating customers, but for some reason these non-quilters just don't get it, but I keep trying.

I've done just the quilting on a lot of tee shirt quilts and when I ask these gals about a label they almost always tell me about the plans they already have for their label. Quilters seem to be very conscience of the importance. Non-quilters, not so much.

If I'm making the quilt from start to finish, I ask customers if they want a label. About 75% of the time the answer is yes. I do charge a nominal fee for the service; but I do think it is important to document the who, what, where, and when of the quilt. I will note, however, that the folks seldom want to include any information about the quilter. The info is usually about the recipient of the quilt, the occasion, and the family.

Lynn

I think I am going to start giving the customer ideas

for the label and tell them it would look great on a

matching piece of  fabric and  it would be a lot less

conspicuous. 

Thanks for this thread. Very thought provoking. 

RitaR

Archived