horizontal dual spool holder

maudie

I just received the dual spool holder and figured out where to mount it somewhere in these posts. My question is, how do I thread the machine with the spool holder so close to the front of machine. Do I just go back - and start where I do with cone thread or do I skip something?

I do not think you can use a double needle on these machines.

Was there not a little diagram with your spool holder? I'm thinking it goes straight off the spool, to the little thing with the three holes right before the tension thing (I should learn the names of all these "things").

Maybe someone with more knowledge will come along and respond soon.

Guest Linda S

I have used my dual spool holder. Usually, I only use one spool at a time. If you have smaller spools of thread, you need to use the spool holder, because the thread needs to unwind from the side of the spool instead of the top (as it does from a cone). I usually run the thread straight down to the first thread guide (has three holes, but you just use the middle one) then over to the slanted three-holed thread guide where you lace the thread through each hole before putting it through the tensioner. I'm not sure if that is correct, but it seems to work okay for me.

No, you don't use a double needle on a longarm, but you can use two threads at a time. You just have to thread them both through the same needle. It can be a little tricky. I've only tried it once on a practice piece. Don't know if I'll do it again. I have heard that sometimes it can help to run a monofil through with a metallic if the metallic is breaking, but I haven't crossed that bridge yet.

Linda

After setting up my dual spool holder, I discovered that 3 of the spools of metallic were actually cones! I have 1 Superior and 2 YLI. Generally I like Superior, but in this case the YLI was much better. Didn't fray everytime I clipped it and it sparkles WONDERFULLY! I loosened up the tension ALOT for both and they both quilted well.

I have just started playing with the Superior Glitter - which is like tiny tinsel and IS on a spool. Still experimenting so it doesn't break so quickly. It is pretty enough that I WILL make it work!

Jean,

I bought a couple of the big varigated metallic cones from Superior Threads. They are wonderful! Not one break, no shredding or fraying. I used Bottom Line in the bobbin and lowered the upper tension quite a bit(almost one full turn). I have used it on home dec projects and it really gives it some extra pizzazz.

Nancy

Duluth, MN

Archived