New to SID -- question

As most of y'all know, I mainly do modern type quilts, and my SID is rarely conventional.  Well, now I have  a conventional quilt and am not sure where to SID!  It's a BOM, and I am not sure where to SID.  Central motif and outside of block?  White areas around the central motifs?  What about the log cabins?  Definitely SID the narrow border.  Customer still hasn't decided on panto or what, so I am thinking light custom with CC and maybe a swirl and vine here and there.  Border will be wavy feathery.

Thanks for reading my embarrassing question :)

post-5786-0-59012200-1366634289_thumb.jpg

Hi Mandy,

The "traditional" approach would be to SID the way you are already thinking. In terms of when to use SID and when it isn't necessary, think about it this way...any time you have a section of the quilt that must appear straight (such as sashing, borders, block edges, etc., then use SID to stabilize it.

If the SID is to be part of the actual quilting design (such as having the dark, thicker outer line around a coloring book image to separate the image from what's around it) then look for natural visual breaks between elements. With that thought it mind, one wouldn't need to stitch every single log cabin section. However, if you only need to stabilize a section temporarily to keep it square while you add interior elements, then you can simply baste the perimeter instead of actually stitching in the ditch.

Personally, I do lots of SID simply because I like the way it delineates one section from another visually...but that's just me. :)

Leann and Dawn, thank you both!  I think I need to sketch out some ideas.  Right now I see big Diamond shapes around the cetnral blocks, so I could make a big diamond pattern using SID and then do CC and light vines and swirls and such.  I think I need to draw it out!  Pretty nervous, no lie.  

thanks ladies, you're the best.

Archived