needle size and tension advice for Monolon

I'm going to be doing a lot of SID, and have decided to use Monolon, which I purchased some while ago, but haven't really experimented with.  I know that several of you use it for SID.

I'm running bottom line in the bobbin, about 180 on the TOWA.  That gives me the Jamie Wallen recommended tension test.

I threaded up using just one of the 3 holes before the tension discs, loosened the tension about 1/2 turn.  I'm still using the standard needle - I think that is a 4.5.  I just ordered and have received some of the other sizes from Superior, and am wondering whether I ought to change to a smaller needle?

I did some sample stitching, decided the top tension was a bit too loose, tightened a bit, and it now looks good to me.  I just barely see the bobbin - more like just the hole - from the top, and ditto from the back.

Anything else I ought to be aware of before I get started?

Bonnie

Hi Bonnie. My chart for Monolon combos says BL pre-wound bobbins at 150 on the Towa (much looser than I normally run) and the Monolon itself "very loose". Thread the needle and pull the thread towards the back. Loosen until when you let go of the thread there isn't kinking or curling of the thread that's gone through the needle. This will be so loose you can see daylight between the tension disks.  :blink: Then tighten just a scoosh (technical term) and do a test on a sample. I set my spi at 10.  I don't normally use a smaller needle than 4.0 but a 3.5 might be a good try. I thread up the first hole in the guide above the tensioner and down the third.

Let us know how you're doing.

Archived