T-Shirt Quilt Question

Hello Ladies

I have not been on the forum in a long time.  I have been dealing with breast cancer and have not been doing much with chatting.  I have been reading and still quilting.  I have decided to do my first T-shirt quilt and I would like to know what interfacing most of you experienced T-shirt quilters have found works the best.  Any helpful hints will also be appreciated.

Thanks

Mary in Kentucky

P.S.  Hope any that made it to our quilt show last week had a good time.

Mary, I can totally understand about being away from quilting because of cancer. For me it was uterine.  I'm so glad you are feeling better now and I pray for good reports from your future doctor's appointments.

As far as you T shirt quilt goes here are a few tips I have found helpful.

Use the non-gummy stabilizer on the back of the shirts. ( can't remember the name and it is at home, but I'm at work)

Cut the sleeves and collar off the shirt, then figure out how large to make the block. 

Try to either border your blocks with something a little bit sturdier, or use different sized blocks with sashing in between.  Even with the stabilizer they tend to get out of shape when you sew them together.

As far as quilting it, go slowly.  If any of the shirts have those plasticy decals then be prepared for your needle to catch in that stuff and there wlll be bigger needle holes.

T shirt quilts are fun and easy.  If you make one for somebody else charge them $10 per shirt, no less.

Hope this helps

I use Pellon's fusible interfacing and get the lightest I can find. I have made dozens of T-shirt quilts and they are one of my favorites. I have done them with basic 12 x 12 squares with sashing inbetween or ones that are all different sizes depending on the decals (this type is a little more difficult). My advice is just relax and enjoy yourself. I find it is very easy to quilt and have never had any issues.

I just recently made my first one and the tees had very large prints and logos so most squares were cut very large (no inter-facing ) ,a few pieced and no borders ,I carefully pinned each piece and sewed as I went along to keep it square then when I put it on my frame I stitched in the ditch on every seam ,it was my way of practicing with rulers and used my channel locks to keep it squared up as I stabilized the whole quilt then I went back and did a all over hooked feathers ,it turned out great and super soft .

Archived