from tied to quilted

I haven't seen this quilt yet but my first client has a quilt that is tied that her grandmother made and she wants to have it quilted for her daughter for Christmas.  She doesn't want anything more than a panto and I can handle that but if I decide I can't, I'll pass her to someone who can do it justice.  I want to be prepared for when we get together to do the intake.

Here are my questions:

What do I need to do about the holes that will be left from where it's tied?

Since it's bound, will I need to take the binding off and attempt to re-use it? 

I'll check out the batting to see if it can be used.

Is there anything else I need to do?  This client doesn't sew and I'm sure I'll need to bind the quilt once it's done.

Thanks,

Joan

The holes will be big if they used yarn to tie it. Once it's separated, use a Q-tip and water to touch on the holes to see if they'll close up. If it's been laundered a lot, you can spritz it well to see if that helps. Once the top is on the frame you may be able to close any leftover obvious holes with some manipulation and water.

If the quilt will be displayed and not used, you can see if the binding is strong enough to re-use. That will keep the "original" condition of the piece even tough your quilting will cancel (?) the true age of the quilt. But it's a family piece so that's of no concern.

If it's going to be used and loved, apply new binding so the edges will wear better. I'd put in new batting as well if it's to be used. The new batting and binding will strengthen the quilt and add lots of years to its life. Maybe help your customer make a new label with information about the quilt.

It sounds like a fun project!

Edited to add--you can apply the binding to the top after it's quilted while it's on the frame. I charge a $30 flat-fee for this. Then charge by the hour for sewing the binding to the back or find a friend who'll do it for her (for a fee).

One of your biggest headaches will be the fact that the backing is exactly the same size as the top...Even if you sew some muslin or scrap fabric to the backing to give you something to pin and clamp, she will lose 1/4" of the backing on all sides (where you seam the extra fabric on) and therefore will need to trim back the quilt top.

I have done one where the quilt top was the important part.  Customer purchased new muslin for backing and binding (and pre-washed/shrunk it) as the top was old printed sugar/flour sacks and muslin.  The old backing had rust spots on it.  We also used new batting.  It looked nice when we got it done.  I don't know what she did about the holes on the top as I didn't have to deal with them...maybe it was tied with floss rather than yarn.

Hi,

I long armed a tied quilt for my MIL.

No way I could use the batt and backing.

I loaded it on the frame with the binding and batting as she gave it to me, and had to take it off.

It wasn't square and it was droopy in some spots and taught in others.

There was too much irregularity to quilt it without taking it apart.

Once I took it apart, squared it up & used a new batt and backing, it was fine.

I had no trouble with holes made by the yarn she used to tie it.

But it had never been laundered, so that might be why the holes weren't an issue.

(It was stinky)

I even laundered it (twice) before I gave it back.

She's happy with it, now, I think.

It looks (& smells) A LOT better.

Archived