When is it mine?

Ok you experts. I need you! I got a pattern A I loved that Linda Rech quilted out but I hated making even one block! Then I took another pattern,B, I enjoyed making and I bred the two together so I have a block that is similar to but unlike either pattern. When is it mine? It looks somewhat like Pattern A but is made more like Pattern B. So what do you say?

It's yours, sorta. Everything--I mean everything--is derivative. Nothing is new. So I guess I mean it's yours until someone alters it and makes it theirs. And until someone does it again and now it's theirs.

If you want to draft and sell a pattern of this new-to-you block in a quilt, do so. The copyright pertains to your drawings, pictures/photos, and printed instructions, but not the block design. 

Do it, Sylvia!  :P

Lynda Newell has finally offered her patterns for sale. I think one of the best ways to market a pattern is to associate yourself with your LQS and write a business plan for teaching a class using the pattern. Depending on the difficulty of the piecing, the class could be for whichever skill-level is appropriate. Make a sample to show the LQS using fabric you purchased there. Do the deal, hang the beautifully pieced, gorgeously quilted, and exciting sample at the shop with info on the class. Price yourself competitively. Teach it, baby!

Several women in my guild have their patterns for sale all over the US, in Keepsake Quilting's catalog, and from several on-line sites. It's do-able and quilters are always looking for the next and the best! Another plus is this great family you have here. We'd love to purchase your pattern!

Draft the pattern. Have a couple of friends  B) test the pattern, taking notes and editing as necessary. Best to have several skill-levels do the testing. Revise the instructions and either print them yourself or take to FedEx Office. If you can keep it to four pages (one sheet of paper front-and-back) that's the simplest and most cost-effective. Put the yardage requirements on the back page. Take a nice photo of the quilt to put in front. Get those zip-lock bags from Uline or other supplier and have fun stuffing them. You can sell from your own on-line site, but if you want to sell to shops you'll need to offer wholesale pricing to them. Don't under-cut the retail price on your site--offer it for the same as the shops. 

Another option is a download. Easy to set up and it's instant for the customer. We charge $5 less for the download of my sashings book, but the customer has to print it themselves. Great for out-of-country sales, though.

Did I give you enough to think about?  ;) Love you back, miss Sylvia!

Oh, Linda, I will love you forever. I will think, think, think. I made the first block today and it went together like a charm! I want to make tons more before I can get-er-quilted. I just wish I could quilt like you, girl, so everyone would take notice. I may just but tons of blue markets and draft out the quilting on this one before it is loaded on the frame. Unfortunately I am not that good at ruler work and this one will require lots of it! But...I am still smiling!

Archived