Question about the edges

Try using a curtain rod ( the kind that is curved on the ends) , just slip under the elastic to hold up the clamps. You will be able to advance your quilt without it slipping out of place.

Works like a charm! :D

I have also talked to others that have this problem, they change out the clips that came with the machine with lighter-weight plastic ones. They say that they dont get caught up in the base and are easier to handle, for example someone who may have carpal tunnel or low hand strength.

I personally have not done this, I use the curtain rods and I love it. There is a lot less use of vulgar words with them. However, I have thought often of going with the plastic ones it, espically on days when my hands and arms are tired.

Just gotta convince the DH to help you change them out.

Blessings and hugs

Tracey

Thanks, Linda and Tracey. I will try the curtain rods for temporary... and I will look into getting some lighter weight or smaller clips. I actually took some pieces of canvas about 15" x 10", sewed a casing across one long side, slid a 15" section of a yard stick inside, and hemed the other 3 sides. I pinned the plain 15" side to the edge of the quilt, and put the clips on the edge with the yardstick inside. It works but it's really a pain in the neck to take it off and reposition it every time I advance the quilt.

You can buy gadget trays or you can make your own. I bought 3.5 x 36 inch oak strips at Lowes. I used wood glue and added 1" sides. These trays now hold scissors, marking tools, pin trays -- whatever I need to keep handy (usually the phone and TV remote can be found in there too). I just put my elastic strips over the tray and that holds it up out of the way so my base doesn't bump into it.

I don't keep the extended base on if I'm doing meander or pantos and that helps too.

I have another trick which improves smooth movements when working with rulers and is similar to the rods for the clamps,

If you have a Millennium, the needle plate and thread cutter are higher than the throat of the machine and the base extender is even with them .

It is often that your rulers get hung up in this low spot. Filling the lower area in behind the needle plate will eliminate this . I used 1/4" foam board from Wal-Mart, cut it to size and glued it down with double sided tape. To obtain the correct size, just install your clear Plastic base extender and fill all to the rear corner of it. That gives you one large work area on one level.

Just make sure to cut out one little corner to allow free travel for the thread cutter knife. Plexiglass would work just as well but I prefer the quick and cheap way. It has eliminated all hang up's for the last 2 years.

Jurgen

Dont know Judy, we got our Millennium little over 2 years ago and the extended base that we have slides on from the front and rests on the left of the thread cutter and on the right of the needle plate. I belive its the Hartley.

When the base is installed, the area behind the needle plate and thread cutter was about 1/4 inch lower than the top of the base base which caused the rulers to hang up at times. I talked to Mike about it at one of the shows and it may have been modified since then. As you know, APQS is always out to improve their machines.

Jurgen

Archived