Spares

Happy Holidays All!

I am looking at acquiring some spares to have on hand and am curious as to what would be recommended. I did a forum search and found an excellent post which I will paste below, but is there anything you would add (or subtract)?

Thanks!

Dave

From Juliagraves in 2009:

Get a few spare parts and tools. You don't want to be out of order for a $2 part. When I was new, I started putting various posts into a file, which is below. Because the input came from many people, there are duplicates (but that just means they're probably the most important!). Spare parts: A couple of needle screws, an extra bobbin case, a bobbin case spring, a pigtail, a fuse or two and a lightbulb. The pigtails (these are the last two thread guides before the needle) need to be changed when they are worn. The thread will eventually wear a groove in the guide and it will cut the thread. Replacement depends on how much and what kind of thread is pulled thought. Monofilament will wear the guides faster that other threads. You can turn them over in a pinch but they are cheap (If I remember right $1.30 each). The needle bar set screw can be installed on the other side (the needle bar is threaded all the way through). It is placed on the left because the thread might catch if it is on the right. We have used our machines with the screw on the right for years without any problems. I would recommend as spares, 2 needle bar setscrews, pigtails, tension return spring, and bobbin case. For a bobbin case spring in a pinch you can use a side of a prewound bobbin or a donut cut from paper. The fuses are available from Radio Shack and the lamp from Home Depot or Lowes. You machine has a spare fuse in the fuse holder for immediate use. QTY 20 Bobbins (Metal) $0.50 each =10.00 1 Bobbin Case $9.95 (have) 1 Check Spring $2.50 1 Hook, Teflon $64.95 Needles: 1 MR4 7.50 1 MR3 7.50 2 Needle bar set screw $.50 each =1.00 4 Thread guides: Wire – pigtail $1.30 ea = 5.20 1 Tension assy. 15.00 Total 126.30 Needle plate screw mx video I have a clean(unused) coffee filter with double sided tape on top of my machine for putting thread clippings. I have hot glued a cardboard tube with the bottom taped off.Put this on one side of my machine not in the way of my thumb wheel or anything where it would be in the way. I put assortment of things of washable marking pens, twezzers, scissors,seam ripper, squeezers, small screw driver for changing out needles. One thing I'd like to add is that I throw a small piece of batting over my shoulder and quickly stick the threads I snip to it. Saves looking for the garbage can or cleaning up the floor later. I also use this when I'm sitting at my regular sewing machine quilting. I also have a sticky roller (3M I think) close at hand for cleaning up the threads off the top as I'm snipping. I have small strips of adhesive magnetic tape on the front and back of my machine. I keep an embroidery needle for burying ends, an extra machine needle and a couple of flat flower head pins on it. At the back just behind the first thread guide I have a small strip of velcro with a wet erase pen attached. It's a quick reach to mark the perimeters of the quilt on the plastic table cover. I also have a 1 1/2 x 12" plexi-ruler velcroed to the side of the machine just in front of the laser post. I always know where that straight edge is for quick crosshatching or straight lines in a block, or for some quick ditching. My tools are kept in a small rolling cart that I can put right where I need it. I also have extra bobbins, needles etc. on the cart. My WD40, canned air, alcohol etc. are in a carry-tray on another rolling cart under my machine table. I also have a "carousel" thing I got at Staples that holds markers, magnifier, tweezers etc. Threads go on the floor for a quick pickup after quilting. My shoulder is too sensitive to do the batting on the shoulder trick. I tried that after seeing Linda Taylor do it and paid big time! A quick swiffer on the floor or a "Stick vacuum" picks them up quickly and saves me a lot of time. Reaching to the top of the machine for a coffee filter also doesn't work for me. Too many whiplashes and shoulder injuries. One thing that I have really found helpful is those little dental flossers. You know the kind that make it really easy to floss your little childs teeth. One end has a bit of floss, the other is like a toothpick. That's the end I use to get into my bobbin case and clean-out the thread path. I have seen many use a pin to do this, but with this bit of plastic I know I won't scratch anything. I have been using the same one for a long time now. I also wear an apron while I am quilting. The pockets hold my little screw driver for adjusting bobbin tension, my best little snippers, and a make-up brush for extra tuff fluff cleaning in the bobbin area. My best thing is have my tool chest right by my machine. A gross of bobbins in their little boxes fit real nice in those little drawers. In the big drawer I have put a silverware tray to organize my pens, markers and other little tools. Screw driver to change needles Screwdriver to adjust my bobbin case if needed. A couple of extra bobbin cases. I keep my scissors on the laser light peg on the top on my machine A trash can at each end of the machine . They are only a suggestion as I usually miss the can. But get the threads close for easy pick up. I can't do the batting or shoulder thing either. A quick pick up for thread is a toilet bowl brush. I have a Scissor Spot on my machine (from Darlene Epp) I keep my self-threading needle there. A 1" paint brush for lint in the bobbin area when needed. I use an air compressor after every quilt. I use the mechanics magnetic holder or my pins I also keep a pair of tweezers in there. Flashlight just in case. a piece scrap of batting (cotton) to wipe anything that need wiped. Chalks pencils, and a piece of scrap Hobbs 80/20 to wipe chalk off with. If it isn't Miracle chalk. A tape measure. Blue painters tape for lots of things. Template and rulers. Base Expander Lint rollers I by them by cases from cleanersupply.com for the best price, if you have someone to split with that's great. If not they won't go bad. I also get the comforter bags for returning quilts. The large ones are HUGE. I think I get the 18" ones now. Oil. Pens and paper for designs. Floralphane for designs. Pigma Brush pens in all colors, very handy I keep my blunt nosed scissors on the laser post on the top of the machine and I have a Scissors Spot for a couple of pins and the darning needle I use to bury threads. When I began outfitting my studio, I decided that I never wanted to search for a trash can. I have them everywhere LOL. Because my room is quite large, I have space to put a 2x4 foot table on one end of my frame and I have a set of rolling drawers with all my bobbins, rulers, screw drivers, etc. on the other end. Put a string through an empty batting roll or pvc pipe and attach to the table frame to keep the batting and quilt top (I float it) from dragging on the floor. Air compressor for cleaning out the bobbin area (canned air is expensive and can introduce moisture - not good for mechanical parts).

Here is my list of spare parts and tools. Stubby Phillips head, long skinny flathead to adjust needle bar height, spare needle screw, pigtails, bobbin case, tension assembly, hook assembly, fuses, motor brushes, and spare bobbin case spring, grease for gear box, green lock tite, magnifying glass and light. Wd40, oil, alcohol, air compressor. It would have to go to the factory if I can't fix it with that. The hook assembly is the most expensive part of my repair kit, but I don't have to wait 4 days for one if I have a really bad day.

Of course needles and bobbins are a given.

Shirley

Dave

Shirley has it pretty much covered, I would add spare screws for the side covers and the top covers as well.   The heads are quite soft and get easily chewed up.  Amy used to have a package with most of the common spares in it already,  check with her and add whatever else you want after the holidays.

Nigel

Archived