Help! Is this needle, tension, bobbin or a hook problem??

O.k. here is the story....

Last week my needle bar striped out on me - not a great feeling - or sound!! - to have a needle FALL OUT while you are quilting!!!!!! grrr....

Anyhow - Ordered the parts on Wed. they finally arrived on

Friday - and my husband helped with the whole process. Not

a fun thing to pound out those bushings!! Also - intalled a new hook. This is the first time I have timed my machine by

myself - lets just say that right out there too!! I don't think it

was all really that bad. After getting it all back together and

doing a test run - it stitched better than when I brought it back from Carroll and my maintence class with Connie. Yes - even after John (I think that was his name....) messed with my machine - he cranked the tension as tight as it would go -

and I was told that "when switching directions from right to

left - then left to right, your machine just naturally will sew

better in the one direction"

On my sample I stitched I did a type of interlocking maze stitch - back and forth - nice!!!!!! You could not tell which way I had started from!!! I have just been "putting-up" with how it was - thinking it was the best it could be.... it better stay this way too - I really like doing cross-hatching and SID and it is a BIG pain to always start and go from the one side and move to the right....But now back to my problem...

I called on Monday morning - left a message for Amy - because of the changes I made things sound a bit different, wanted to check and make sure everything is alright. I can not wait all week to get a call back. I need to get to work - so I am! I am getting these little loopies now and then on the back of the quilt. I am using a 3.5 needle that I purchased from APQS - Bottom line in the top and bobbin. I have cleaned the bobbin case very well. Springs are up. This is only happening now and then. Sometimes it will let me do a few blocks without doing it. I have even gotton one big NASTY bundle down there.....grrr..... I see no extra stitches or see from the front / top when this is happening. It is the top thread hanging down. White on top - dark blue on back - nice tension huh!!?? A tiny little bearding now and then, but heh - that want that batting - and should pre-wash their backing.

I wanted to know how much of a "kiss" the hook should be giving my needle. I can hear it, just barely, when doing a stitch by stitch. Also - the needle bar is going up and down much slower than it used to. This is getting better too, at first it really would hesitate, almost jerky like, but my husband thought that this is o.k. and it needs to get broken-in.

Sorry this is so long - but I really feel like I need some answers here. Please - can somebody out there help me? Any other ideas as to how to take care of this problem? And how to fix what I have - I don't want to go back and rip out those areas - but some of the loops are too small to knot-off and pull into the quilt. I will not leave loose ends hanging.....

Sign this: Frustrated and wanting advice and answers to my many questions, thank-you.

post--13461897930675_thumb.jpg

another question..... how come when I do a needle up and down - to start

in a spot - sometimes my bobbin thread - after I pull it up, it will feel really

tight - not normal. This is with using the same bobbin that was just fine

moments before. I am having problems with my tension now staying the

same, and I think I have narrowed it down to this problem - but why is it

doing this? I have pulled it out (the bobbin) cleaned - oiled - everything!!

So I am wondering if I have my hook in right or not..... will somebody please

help me?.....:(

Judi,

I have an APQS Ultimate I. I have replaced my needle bar twice. When I did it on my first machine, it went well. For my current machine, I ordered the needle bar from APQS but let a local machine shop install it. They did not use the folded business card method of measuring the distance of the bar to the top of th needle plate. I heard a faint click with every stitch. :o

I put up with it for a couple weeks and then one day I jammed a needle. It was bad. I had to practically pull the machine apart, the needle was bent like an "L". So my DH and I decided to fix the needle bar. Voila, no faint clicking.

We went ahead and re-timed. That is always a PITA for me. The hook is supposed to glance off the needle at the scarf. I don't think it is supposed to touch it hard enough to make a noise.

Is it possible that you did not tighten the screws around the collar of the hook and the hook has shifted on the shaft? Hey, say that 3 times fast. :D Ok, back to work. I have 3 screws on the collar; I tighten each one a little bit , then go back and tighten them up. I was told that I should not tighten the screws all at once. I call it flat tire style. (You tighten each nut a little then come back and tighten up every other one until they are done. )

I hope this helps. And I hope that you can get a call from one of the Maintenance guys at APQS. :)

Linda - Thanks so much for a response!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could try that, but I tell

ya' when it is working - it is working GREAT!!! I still have not heard from

APQS - we are having a snow storm up here right now, but it IS Thrusday

already...... I don't like to call - and call - and call - and be a pest, but I

guess that is the only way I will get a reply...:(

I think I will go in tomorrow and adjust it a bit for a little more needle

clearance and see if that works, in the mean time, I am quilting! I have to

get some stuff done! Not looking forward to fixing those spots on this

quilt though..... I do not like to rip-it , rip-it.....

Judi,

I just emailed you from home - just checking to see if you are still in need of assistance. APQS service is working from home today due to the weater and I would be glad to help you out. Feel free to email me back with your number and we can chat.

Thank You

Oh yes - we have had a bit of snow!!

Tina Collins from MO called me this morning and we are getting there!! I

just did a row of 8 blocks and 4 of them are perfect!!! Still getting the tails

of top thread on the back now and then. Tina just called again and I am

off to tighten the top tension and see how it goes. I only have one more

row to do - and think I will go out and shovel again for awhile before I

even start to fix the bad spots.... I love to be snowed in - but the kids have

been home for 2 days - now it's Friday - and they are getting loud!!

Archived