Fixed Index

Stagecl

If one has an offset repeatable design...does it make sense to have a fixed index? Techincally, the design could be used with no offset leaving large spaces to fill in with a background filler. I think having a fixed index on a regular panto that interlocks is good...but this does not fit that category.

I have digitized a design that is offset....but I was just thinking...logic dictates no fixed index.

Also, there are times when I am digitizing a large design...when editing the vertices, I will get a message that says "virtual memory is low". It also says the computer is adjusting for this. So where is my concern when this message appears?...At some point do I need to take any action to prevent losing this design besides periodically saving it? Will I run out of virtual memory at some point?

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA:D

Hi Cheryl,

Sorry I've been tied up and couldn't answer. Coming back from the recent digitizing class at CompuQuilter, I had plane cancellations and delays due to extreme weather, . . . . then as I started to travel, I got the flu that hit other people at the class, so I've been down for a few days. :(

I will be able to call you tomorrow.

I'll need to see the design with the offset/fixed index question. Ask yourself what you want to do with the design - how you envisioned using it and whether you want a design that could be marketed to other computerized quilters. It may be that you'll have 2 versions - one with a fixed index and one without. Some designs can have an offset or not be very interlocking, but still benefit from programming in a fixed index. The fact that a design has an offset quality to it does not change that it still could be best served with a fixed index.

As to your other question, you have started to design complex patterns that are quite large. As a new digitizer, you are probably using too many vertices (all new digitizers tend to do this as we are more tentative when we start digitizing and space vertices closer than we need to). Your talent and experience as a longarm quilter, including design concepts is beyond your experience as a new digitizer - that's all that's going on. I'll help you to review the technique that causes you to use fewer vertices. I'll suggest that you work with designs that are similar to what you want to do, but less complex. Soon you'll build up to digitizing the most complex designs that you have in your head. :)

You are making fast progress and you're very talented. Like everything else you have learned as a longarm quilter, digitizing is a developed skill and talent. There's how the artwork is prepared before you digitize, knowing the digitizing tools and practicing with them, then there's the technique you use with the tools to get the beautiful results. Some of your digitizing is already getting professional results - now you just need some more practice with the complex designs you want to do. I'm so proud of you, Cheryl. Much Love

-Suzanne Moreno, Digitizing Instructor

cqdigi@charter.net

That was the other thought that maybe I was using too many vertices...I have tried to not get carried away when editing. I just want the curves to be nice and curved:P. I am editing with less and then stitching the design out to check results.

This design has no interlocking ability...but I just thought of a new way to use the design too...this would create a second desgin for a quilt...I may have to do it as a tag design:D:P:)...yes I think I just might:)...how exciting!!! You are right...I need to consider a design in different aspects and what more it could do.

I will email you the design since I won't have "go to meeting" capabilities for about 10 days. The new computer arrived yesterday, but Craig wants to plug it together...he is OTT for 9 days. He left bright and early this morning. I am glad Jess is here and the dogs to keep me company, oh yes...the cats too.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

Cheryl, the virtual memory is basically temporary memory. When it gets low, it writes to your hard drive. It doesn't effect anything but possibly the speed when you need to call it back up while you're doing something. This is according to my son, and husband who are always saying I have too many things open at the same time. As long as you are saving often as you go, there isn't anything to worry about.

You might want to put the index in just so you don't have to guess how far down to go. For instance, if you are going to leave a space between the patterns for freehand fill work, you might want to add an inch or two (or three):) to what would be the regular index. That way it acts as a guide only.

For offset patterns, quite often the index for Y will remain the same, but the offset will change. You can put the instructions for the X index in your notes section, or in your wmf file, if you have made one. Both will come up when you have the pattern in CompuQuilter when you click on notes.

The number of vertices you use, will usually have little effect in CompuQuilter. Stan has really made it easy for us. That is something I don't worry about anymore. What I am trying to do is to redo everything in 3 pt arcs so they will be compatible with the Statler Stitcher for selling purposes. SS will run polylines to a certain extent, but they can still slow it down to a crawl. Anyone who wants to sell patterns should keep this in mind.

If I can help anyone in any way, just holler. :D

Suzanne,

I redigitized my design using less vertices for practice. It stitches out better. I see what you mean that less can be more and that having too many vertices can be a disadvantage to a design.

Thanks for answering my question:)

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

Archived