Picture posting and judging

Recently, a local quilt shop posted the following on their webpage:

FYI -- We will no longer be posting pictures of all the quilts on our website. We recently learned that if a photograph of a winning quilt has been posted online, it cannot then be entered into a judged show, and we want our master quilters to be able to show them at our Quilt Shows!

I am a quilt judge had have never heard of this restriction.  I don't understand the reasoning behind this - is this true?  If yes - why?  Anyone have any insight??

Thanks!

Are you saying that the LQS won't post photos of the winners of their own shows on their website? Because another show won't accept a quilt that's has been entered in a show and photos posted online? Weird. I've never heard of that. 

Big-name show quilters time their show quilts so they can make the rounds of all the big shows. Just because you've entered Houston (and they posted photos of the winners on their site and also in a book) doesn't mean the quilt is banned from Road to California.

I imagine the LQS is being super careful and this is an interpretation of some "rule" set by one specific show.

Plus, the statement is they want the quilters to be able to show quilts at their show. Thus the restriction is for their benefit. The LQS might want to research a bit and see what the real rules are for show entries.

I have entered my jackets in shows across the country which means that I have read the rules for these shows very carefully. I have never seen a rule that restricts a quilt from entering a show because it has been published on a website. Like Linda says, some quilt artists earn their bread and butter by winning multiple quilt shows and their quilts appear in magazines and on web sites.

I ran into this strange 'rule' about 2 years ago.  I quilted a top for a customer who was participating in a prominent quilting magazine mystery and the mag was having a contest at the end.  They wanted pictures of the finished quilt and they would then pick several 'winners' to be showcased in a future edition of the magazine.  And somewhere in all that language was a statement that they would not accept a quilt that had been previously photo'd and published ... like on my blog .... what the ??? Customer went ahead and entered anyway.  But that language was there ... no 'published' quilts, please.  

Interesting, no?

Just a guess here but....If a quilt enters our show here and has won a ribbon all that information has to be kept from the judge (i.e. a lady irons the ribbon on beside her label in the back then that has to be covered with a piece of cloth or tape).  They don't want to taint the pool of judges.  Or perhaps they just want virgin quilts!

I ran into this strange 'rule' about 2 years ago.  I quilted a top for a customer who was participating in a prominent quilting magazine mystery and the mag was having a contest at the end.  They wanted pictures of the finished quilt and they would then pick several 'winners' to be showcased in a future edition of the magazine.  And somewhere in all that language was a statement that they would not accept a quilt that had been previously photo'd and published ... like on my blog .... what the ??? Customer went ahead and entered anyway.  But that language was there ... no 'published' quilts, please.  

Interesting, no?

This rule pertains to the fact that quilt mags "own" the designs for the winning quilts from their contests. They want only original designs and those that haven't been seen by the public to avoid copyright issues. There is usually something in the fine print of the entry form that states that the design is the property of the magazine to do with as they wish--for a certain period of time. They can use photographs and instructions and even use photos in calendars and advertising---without compensating the owner/designer any more than the original contest "prize". Be wary when entering your original work in a mag contest. A friend from guild eventually sold patterns for an original quilt she had entered in a contest and had to wait three years to be able to legally sell her own intellectual property.

Archived