I need suggestions on first custom quilt

This is my own Lodge and Lakeside quilt that I'm going to use rulers on and freehand, provided I can practice enough.

I'd like suggestions on how to quilt it.  I hope it lays flatter on the frame than on the floor.  LOL  You can bet my next quilt will be better.  I finished this before I got my longarm. 

I'll be using wool on this king size quilt.  So far I only have So Fine thread and a straight ruler, the 4 in 1 tool and the dragon scales from Quilter's Rule.

I'm open to any suggestions you may have regarding rulers, etc.

Thanks so much!

Joan

post-3214-0-75338500-1395853934_thumb.jpg

I tried to copy the picture and draw on it, but I can't get it to work worth anything. 

I would put petal shapes in the red peony block and put leaf shapes in the tan triangles , then a simple zig zag down the stems.

In the pine tree blocks I would make clusters of lines to resemble pine needles.

In the bears paw I would do a circular shape in the center of each square, then pull out some points into the "toes"

In the star blocks, do some line dancing around the points then something swirly in each center.

I'm not sure about the attic windows block.

I would outline the center design and then fill with peacock feathers or swirls, or maybe tiny baby feather meanders.

Whatever fill you use in the center block, use that same fill in the tan outer background.  Feather or piano key the borders, or put vine and leaf designs in the borders.

Archived