high loft batting help

Hi Lady---

High loft may require you to raise the hopping foot. Try stitching and see if you have too much drag--sometimes the fabric will be pushed in the direction of the stitching and may cause pleats. If so, raise the foot a little and test. Remember to lower it when you are finished!

Some times the sheet backer will cause problems because of the high thread count. Use a new needle--maybe a smaller (3.5?) needle and good luck! Seems like every machine has it's own likes and dislikes. Give it all a try. Have fun!

Linda Rech

Hi LadyInThread,

When I first started, I let my customers bring their own batting. One lady brought me a kingsize (read as: lap with too many borders) and some high loft batting. The batting was pieced, too. That quilt helped me write my quilting brochure. No pieced batting :D

I started with one panto pattern and realized very quickly that loops, sharp turns and tight curves were not going to work with this batting. It was corraling the batting into stiff mountains. I think I ended up using Wind Water by Kathie James because it had more straight lines mixed in with the curls. And I added some space in between rows. The quilt looked good but it felt stiff to me. There was no discernable drape/drop. However, my customer loved the look and feel of it. My blog has some photos on webshots of Big Burgundy(Click the link).

Good luck with yours. And please post a photo.

Recently I had a customer with a super king quilt made of flannel, top and bottom, who wanted me to quilt with double layers of batting! I did it. Boy was that quilt heavy. She was from out of the state too, so she decided to enjoy the drive up to Oregon to visit and to pick up her quilt. Good decision probably, considering it would have taken an armored truck to have it shipped back down to her!

There should have been some kind of a warning label attached to the back of her quilt that said: WARNING do not let feeble persons, small pets or children sleep under the weight of this quilt!!!

Archived