No mark diamond border????

I use Lyn's method too.

Measure the border. Decide on how many diamonds you want and divide the border measurement by the number of diamonds. 

For example, border is 63 inches long and you think 11 diamonds would look good. 63" divided by 11 is 5.73".  Remember that the first mark will be where the end of the diamond goes, not the peak, so find the center between your first two marks on the same seam, and that's where the line will touch the seams. Then measure your distance from that new mark all along to place the marks for the peaks of the diamonds. As you stitch, you'll start in the center and stitch out to the seam, then to the opposite seam all along the border. You'll be at a seam and the final stitching line will take you back to the center where you want to end the diamond. Then you can stitch back to form the diamonds.

Don't be like me--draft or mark where you want your diamonds to start---meaning do you want the diamond points to touch in the center of the border when you turn the corner? If so- you must measure the border from the "kissing point" and not the seam. It's easy math and a bit of thinking for the marking, but you only need tick marks on the seams. And a stencil will never fit evenly--at least not in my studio!  ;)

If you piano-keyed the outer border, you may be able to use the spacing as your marks for the diamonds. Count the piano keys and see if they can be divided by something to give a whole number. If you have 80 piano keys, your diamonds can be 8 piano keys long. If you have 112, the diamonds can be 7 piano keys long. If you have 153, the diamonds can be 9 piano keys long.  It would depend on how close your keys are and how wide the border is as to whether the spacing for the diamonds would look balanced.   Just a thought...  ;)

Archived