White Space

Well, here I am again asking for opinions. I have a quilt with a large denim star in the middle of a large white space that is of uneven portions around it so I cannot do any semitrical quilting around it. Do you have any background fillers that are go to other than stipple? Also, I have a red border and large 12 inch white border that I need to quilt. I have a navy backing so when I use the red thread for the red border how am I going to get my tension just right to keep that navy from poking through. I thought that on the white I might use a varigated thread to take care of that problem but any suggestions will be helpful.

Mary

You could just match the bobbin to the top thread.  It will show up on the blue, but you won't have to worry with pokeys. What about some sort of basket weave type of background where you could just go back and forth side to side and then the next square over go up and down.  You could just use the air disappearing marker to mark squares to fill in.  It's hard for me to recommend something without actually seeing the top.

mander or loops-vine with stars might be striking in the white background. 

Or the McT, similar to what T Row used in the corners of the snowman quilt.

Pretty but time consuming would be river rock, smooth edges but diff sizes and shapes,

for the background.

I'm becoming more and more in love with piano keys or Bead board for borders, but can't envision them

on a border that wide.. I'm sure other gals will suggest something more appropriate.

As for the threads, I'm just not thinking good on that.

Archived