compuquilter-stitch length

What would a good stitch length be on meandering ? I am quilting a batik quilt and am using a stitch length of 9 stitches per inch. I really like a shorter stitch length like 10 stitches per inch but for some reason the compuquilter doesn't seem to like it . I have to start at 9 and change it to 10 after it's running cause if I start at 10 to begin with the thread breaks . maybe I'm doing something wrong ?

Arby

You do not normally use the stitch regulator when using the CQ. Stanley does not recommend it at all. We have our CQ on a Freedom. The CQ moves at such a constant speed the stitches are even.

The stitch length is a function of motor speed and CQ speed of movement. Just like before we had SR?s.

I have seen the results of using the SR and not using it and the stitch quality is much better without the SR especially on curves.

It is possible I don?t understand your question.

John

Joann ,

Thank you for your reply . I do set it at 9, then when it's running I speed it up to 10 because if I set it at 10 before I push R the thread will break , also I have my speed at 70 . The person that set the cq up set it at 100 but someone at cq told me that was too fast so we slowed that down.

Arby

Just a thought,

I think the cq side of it is right but what about the tension of your thread, is it too tight as well as in the bobbin? Also the needle size as you are sewing with batik as it is a denser type of fabric and the needle may be too small by making a too smaller hole for the thread to pass through and after a short time shearing the thread and causing it to break. You may have to go up 1/2 or 1 size in the neddle.

Simone :)

Simone,

Im using a 4.0 needle my thread hasn't broken because I've kept the st length at 9 but I know that if I increase it to 10 that it will break. I hadn't thought about the tension maybe I need to loosen the tension a bit. Although stitches look a little bigger they don't look bad. { I guess that's why I didn't think it was the tension}

Arby

Archived