basting for customers

Hi LA Quilters,

Question, I don't know if this topic has been handled before, but more and more I get questions if I could baste quilts for hand-quilters. I have never done this before, just quilting of customers, and am not sure how to do this.

Has anyone done this as a service to customers before, and can you tell me how the basting is done?

Thanks a lot, I always get good answers from this forum!

Sylvia Kaptein

Sylka-Mode

www.sylkamode.com

I get a few basting jobs per year. I charge a flat rate of $40 no matter the size. Even a large quilt can be done in about an hour, so it's a pretty good money maker. I use up all my orphan bobbins that have been hanging around.

This is the pattern I use...right, down, right, up, right , down, right, up,etc...so it ends up looking like the top of a castle, you know what I mean? When you do this row after row, it ends up looking like a grid...I space the grid so it ends up with approx 6" squares.

Give it a try and good luck....you won't get many basting jobs, probably, but it's a nice service to offer............

Here's what I do:

Use slippery poly thread(Isacord) in contrasting colors.

Play with the tension so that the stitches are easy to pull out i.e. create railroad tracks.

Do a big meander over the whole thing.

I charge $30 for a small quilt and $40 for a big one.

There is good money in this and I make a big effort to turn these around to the customers really quickly.

Jill Kerekes

Archived