tension adjustment help

Hi,

I have been using the same thread in the bobbin as the top....but now I am trying to use OMNI on the top and so fine on the bobbin....I have been having problems adjusting the tension....I don't have a bobbin guage....but my bobbin tension is set so I can lift the bobbin case off my hand and it does not spool down until I give it a little bounce with my finger....I have loosened up the top tension so the nut is flush with the end of the bolt and don't want to loosen it up anymore as I think I may than have the tension assembly fall off....It is threaded the way the manual says.....I am still getting very small eyelashes with the bobbin thread on top when doing small curves (nickel sized curves)....I have a quilt on which is flannel top and bottom...hobbs 80/20 batting....should I tighten up the bobbin even more?....rethread the machine using only two holes (or one)?.  Should I really be able to turn my tension to loosen it up as much as I did...several complete turns?  I did try flossing the tension disk....thanks for any advice....Lin

I like this video, and believe it helps you learn how to set the bobbin tension.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1mRhcquZTM

I took a class, and thread tension was explained like this to me.  Take your right hand pointer finger and make a hook with your finger.  Then do the same with your left hand.  Now hook the two fingers together.  Put your right elbow up in the air level with your forehead, and your left elbow down by your waist.  Your right hand is now the top thread, and your left finger is the bobbin thread.  Your two fingers are in a constant tug of war to keep the thread twist in the center of the quilt sandwich.  

If the bottom thread is coming up through the batting and visible on the top, the top tension is winning the tug of war.  With a DSM, where you normally never touch the bobbin tension screw, you would loosen the top tension, to balance out the tug of war and bring the thread twist down into the center of the sandwich.  

If the top thread is being pulled down through the quilt sandwich to the be visible on the bottom side of the quilt, then the bottom tension is winning the tug of war between the two threads.  Again, on a DSM where you normally only change the top tension, you would increase the top tension to bring the top up into the middle of the quilt sandwich.  That is the best explanation for me to visible see how the tension battle is being won.  

With that being said, if your tension is good everywhere except when you make small curves, I would try increasing your needle speed.  As it would appear the tension issue is being caused by your needle deflection from moving the machine head too fast while the needle is still sunk into the fabric.  If you do not increase the needle speed, you have to slow down your hand movement to prevent the needle deflection.  

If you do not want to change the bottom tension, the only other way I can see you will be able to prevent the top tension from winning the tug of war, is for you to only run the thread through two of the thread holes on the thread guide above the tension disks.   This is how I run my thread now, after battling with tension issues when I first started with my George.  It works for me with the thread combinations I have so far used.  

I hope this helps.  Take care, and have a wonderful day.  Tell us how you set your machine up to balance out the tug of war between the two thread.

Cagey

Cagney...thanks for the info...I watched the video and my bobbin tension is too tight per the video....and yet the bobbin is pulling to the top...so I think I have to loosen the top tension...but I seem to be at the end of being able to loosen it further with the knob before it the tension assembly might come off....so I will try threading it only through two of the three holes tomorrow to see if that will help...also I will try and slow down in the corners to see if that helps...I have been stitching with the regulator on and my stitches are fairly close together....so I will try slowing down a bit....Lin

Archived