lamp not working

The lamp on my Millie doesn't light up. I replaced the bulb and still it doesn't light. Thinking the new bulb could be bad, I inserted the blue light, which worked when I tested it just after I bought it, but it doesn't work either. It appears that the problem is not in the fluorescent tubes. I don't see anything in the manual about troubleshooting the lamp.

Is there something else I can check or reset? Everything else seems to be working.

TIA,

Cathy,

Make sure that it is in the sockets tight and then if all else fails don't forget to try turning the little round black knob on the right hand side of the front cover, that is a rotary on/off switch for the light. One click clockwise.

Take care,

This may seem obvious - but I went out and bought a new fluorescent tube, only to install it, and find I had the light switch turned off.

Alas, shaking my head and laughing at myself. Ah, well, I have a backup light tube. Some small consolation, I suppose.

Cathey,

You can't even imagine how idiotic I felt when I installed the new lamp, and it still didn't work! And there was the DH pointing and saying "Isn't that the light switch?"

ARRGHHH!

This from a woman who used to tear apart oil diffusion pumps for electron microscopes! LOL.

Don't ever ask me to change the oil in a car - we all have equipment we need or want to work with, and some that we just DON'T!

Mary

Mark -- Our lamp went out the other day, got the machine in mid-December. When I looked at the lamp and socket, the RH end was sitting lower in the sockets than the LH. With a lot of twisting force, I got the lamp out of the sockets and did some measuring of lengths. The bulb had been forced in to a light assembly that is about 1/16" too short, actually tearing off part of the metal on the end of the tube. I "persuaded" the tube to be reinstalled "correctly" all the way into the sockets and twisted it on to the contacts. It worked again. (the screw in the slotted end of the fixture could not be loosened, it is jammed). At least we won't have to worry about it vibrating loose. :P

I can't even get my light bulb out. I think I did once, to try the black light bulb and I couldn't see anything, so then I had to put the regular one back. It took me several hours. I decided if it ever burns out I will have to clamp a lamp to my machine, cause it don't want to move.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived