Quilting a vintage top

I've been asked by a customer to quilt a hand pieced vintage top.  She understands it would be more appropriate to have it hand quilted but does not trust anyone to have this heirloom for the time it will take to be hand quilted so she is fine with it being machine quilted.  Question--her first thought was to have me stitch in the ditch.  It's like a Rolling Rock pattern, but with a hexagon center, not a traditional square.  I'm not sure about SID on a hand pieced quilt.  I'm afraid I might cause seams to pull open and even break old, fragile thread.  I think 1/4 inch inside seam lines would be a better option to help stabilize any fragile piecing.  Can anyone give an opinion on the SID?  

Thanks for the help,

Sandy Lachowski

Bend, OR

I have the same opinion as you. I would not stitch in the ditch especially if it is hand pieced. We would love to see pictures when you are finished!! I received an antique bow tie top for Christmas and am pondering quilting designs as well. I love this old stuff!

I am so glad I have read this is have several vintage tops in need to quilt my mom and grandma left me in will lengthen my stitches and stitched 1/4 from the seam. I can't believe how helpful this format can be in learn things I didn't even know it beaded to learn. Ha!

Archived