Long arm needles

Nigel:  Did you ever get around to trying the Schmetz SERV 7 needles?  I don't know if you ever have stitch issues with your Intelliquilter, but if you do I believe the Schmetz needle would help.  I can't remember breaking one since I reported that over 2 years ago.  I never damage the points anymore either.  I also never even bother to change needle sizes these days.  I just use the size 16/100 all the time.  Jim

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Thank you Jim for your in depth discussion about the Schmetz Serv 7 ball point needles.  

I happened to stumble upon a Facebook post about Schmetz ball point needles for longarms today. I had never heard of them before.  I have occasional trouble with skipped stitches on my 2019 Lenni, so I ordered six packs in sizes ranging from 14 to 21.

I can’t imagine what type of thread would need a size 21.  

(The packs are $4.80 each and I saved $10 on shipping by ordering that many.).

Hopefully I won’t need to adjust the timing. 🤞

Which sizes do you recommend for SoFine and Omni?  

Jill

I don't use SoFine nor Omni, just YLI Longarm Professional and Bottom Line, but I've found size 100 and 110 serve my needs.  Actually I use 100's more now than I ever did while using MR type needles.  The Schmetz SERV 7's have a different needle body that makes them stiffer, so a smaller needle can be used without the corresponding deflection usually associated with that size.  (I think Schmetz advertize one needle smaller because of the design).  The eye design is intended to provide a larger loop which will reduce missed stitches.  I'm sure you will like them.  Jim