Metal on Metal noise

Need some advice. When I run my Liberty to spray WD40 etc for cleaning I can hear a clicking - metal on metal - each time the needle enters the bobbin area. I broke two needles a week ago and am concerned I might be 'out of wack'.

I have not had any more thread breakage than before. I have had a few 'skipped' stitches but don't know if this caused them. I oil constantly so I don't think that is it.

When quilting I do not hear the noise but that's probably because it's muffled under a loaded quilt.

Help. Do I need to address this? Is it causing damage?

Thanks.

This may not be your problem, but when I have my extended base on, it apparently sits a shade higher than my normal needle plate, and when running the machine while WD-40ing it, it makes a little clunk-y noise with every needle stroke when the foot hits the base. It doesn't make the little noise when the regular needle plate is on.

Hi Kathy,

The clicking noise you are hearing is probably the hook touching the needle, which is o.k. unless it is too close and is breaking them.. That would be a timing issue.. However, are the stitches skipped or are they long? You can tell by moving the thread out of the way and looking to see if there is a needle hole in the fabric.. or by trying to sew in manuel and not auto! Then we know if your S.R. needs an adjustment or if it is timing!

My guess is it is hesitating in S.R. and when it doew that you are still moving the machine, causing a needle to break.. This happens when the little black wheel under the encoder box (black box) is to far away from the brown wheel and it will cause it to slip and the signal gets interupted..

If you need to adjust the wheels, loosen the gold bolt under the brown wheel, (only the the 2 with the black wheels) and slide the black box closer, then tighten it back up.. If you still have trouble, we will want to check the timing!

Call if you need more help!

Connie Hurst

APQS Service Mgr/Tech..

800-426-7233 ext.6

Thanks Connie. I'll check on the skipped stitches this weekend. The needles are not breaking when I'm quilting so I'm glad to hear the clicking noise is okay and not an issue.

Needles only break when trying to attach the zippers to rollers 2 and 3. Roller #1 was fine. Have them stapled on now and will try to stitch them on this weekend (just paranoid about needle breakage now.....) Being a silly 'user'.

Thanks again.

Thanks Connie. I'll check on the skipped stitches this weekend. The needles are not breaking when I'm quilting so I'm glad to hear the clicking noise is okay and not an issue.

Needles only break when trying to attach the zippers to rollers 2 and 3. Roller #1 was fine. Have them stapled on now and will try to stitch them on this weekend (just paranoid about needle breakage now.....) Being a silly 'user'.

Thanks again.

Archived