Irregular stitches

Sheila S.

It is a little hard to tell on the white fabric, but I think I see the bottom thread popping through to the top.  I can clearly see that on the green area.  That being said, the top tension is winning the battle between the two threads.

First off, do you have the bobbin tension set correctly using a TOWA gauge or other method?  I thought there was an APQS video but I could not find it, so here is a different one;  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1mRhcquZTM

Once the bobbin tension is set correctly, you normally make tension adjustments using the top thread tensioner.  As the top tension is winning the tug of war, you need to loosen the top tension disk.  Give it a half to a full turn counter-clockwise.  Then try stitching on the outside edge of the quilt area, that will be cut off.  Keep loosening the top tension until the threads are balanced.  If the top tension disks become so loose that the knob is about to fall off, you may have to change the way you thread your upper thread through the thread guide prior to the tension disks.  That is to say, instead of running it through the three holes, just try doing it through two of them.  

Also, there are lots of tension issue discussions from the past if you do a search on that topic. I wish you the best of luck.

Cagey

Archived