Stitching slowly

I am getting much more comfortable with my free motion quilting. Most of the times I have a good medium speed. Sometime I just feel I need to stitch slowly though. My question is, is this harmful to my George. I'm not talking "bog the motor slow" just beginner slow.

Thanks for your input.

Judy:

Personally, I do not  believe quilting slowly with your George will harm the motor.  That is the only part that could possibly be harmed.  Though as it was designed to be variable speed, it should be just fine.  It is not like you are trying to improperly use a light rheostat to slow the motor down.  APQS designed it to run from 0 to 2400 SPM from the beginning.    

It is probably safer and better for all the other moving parts going slower.  Your not likely to bend a needle and cause damage in the hook assembly when your stitching slowly.  High speed motor sprints and fast head/fabric movements is probably what causes more unintended damage to our machines.  I do not stitch all that fast with mine.  The only time it runs high speed is when I start in the morning with oiling the hook, and then letting it run with not thread for about 3 to 5 minutes to warm it up.  Besides, when get a call from Amy on Thursday this entire discussion will be gone from your mind forever.

Cagey

Archived