Back bar of my long arm has almost fallen off

Its happened twice now. Both times I have had a quilt on.

First time I was able to contact APQS and get a fix. The screw on the upper back bar that is turned by the automatic motor feed comes loose and it almost at the point of falling out. It is awkward to fix.

I have to use a tool that will re thread that area to be able to  screw the screw back into the bar. I am afraid the next time I won't see it and the bar will fall on my machine.

Does anyone know how to prevent this from happening in the first place. thanks

Norah:

Make sure the hole threads are still good, if not then rethread them as you did last time.  Then prior to putting in a new screw or the one take out (as long as the threads are not striped) put some LocTite BLUE 242 on the screw threads http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/10/15/t_lkr_blue/overview/Loctite-Threadlocker-Blue-242.htm  This should make sure that screw stays tight for future use.  Though I would confirm with APQS that this use of LocTite is suggested.  

CAUTION:  Do not, I say again, DO NOT use Lactite RED.  This is for permeant installations.  The screw will not come out unless heated to 500 degrees F (260 degrees C).  Remember, when we see RED, we can say and do stupid things.  We can be dangerous, so Red is bad.

I hope this works for you, and takes care of your problem.  Let us know what APQS says, and if it works.

Cagey

Archived