rattling sound and thread breaking

Hello,

I'm new here, my name is Katy, and I work on an apqs millenium. I am one of three quilters using the machine and I haven't used it lately. I was called in because the machine was having a weird rattling problem. Usually I can fix any problems with the machine but I've never had this problem before.

There's a rattling sound whenever we try to start quilting, and the top thread breaks. The sound isn't coming from the bobbin area, it's coming from the neck area. (I don't know the technical term for it, sorry)

If we turn the wheel by hand it still makes the noise so I don't think it's a wiring problem.

If anyone here has any suggestions, I would greatly apreciate it.

~Katy

I had a similar problem early on, and I figured out the the needle was not in properly. It has to have the hump facing out. I had in backwards, and I had a really weird noise. My husband thought it was in the machine, but it ended up being the needle.

I am also having difficulty with the thread breaking, it litterly shreds. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Good luck...

Barb Wetzel

Ivy Corner Quilting

Altoona, Ia. 500009

It turns out that the needle is in properly, so I let the machine run slowly and it turns out that the noise was also coming from the bobbin area. So aparently the other quilter hadn't been oiling the little bobbin area, that's all it needed.

As for thread shredding, it could depend on what kind of thread you're using. I've had trouble with 100% cotton thread (I hate it) I prefer a cotton poly blend, I've had luck with Maxilock, other people say they hate it, but it's all I use.

You might need to change a pigtail.

Check to make sure the machine is threaded properly.

You might have to adjust your tension.

You might need to change the needle.

From my experience whenever the thread has been just shredding, it's been that I've missed a step when threading the machine. Sometimes if I'm using a cone of thread, it manages to pop off that first hook and I just don't notice it.

The last thing I can think of is using a thread treatment. When I'm working with invisible or metalic thread I like to use Sewer's Aid, it's a thread lubricant.

Thank you for your reply, I didn't know that about the needle and I'll keep that in mind for future reference.

~Katy

Barb: If your thread is shredding, have you tried to loosen the top tension? What kind of thread are you using? Does it happen with all threads or just with a few?

I can pretty much use any thread with my Millennium -- even the Valdani that has horrible consistency. I'll never buy it again but it is nice that I can use what I have here -- even though I'm only using it on donation quilts.

Archived