pricing the CL quilting

How do you girls [guys] price for CL work ? Here I get .01 for open panto and meandering. More dense pantos are .015. How would I price accordingly to recoup my money for large templates ? Will it be the speed factor or the extra money?I'm still trying to figure out which ones to get. Thanks, Glenda

I am adding CL to my designs (less than a week and it should be here :P) and I ordered some of the large templates (fanclam, swirls etc...) since this produces an edge to edge pattern I will charge what I charge for my pantos which is .015 per sq inch. The other templates that I ordered such as Ginko, Spirals, Aztec, featherz, crosshatching and some others that I can't think of right now will be part of my semi-custom and custom quilting which I will be charging .025 per sq inch for semi-custom (individual block designs, sashings and dead end borders without any background fills) then .03 per sq inch for custom (all of semi-custom plus background fills as well).

I don't think it's right to charge the customer extra for the same type of technique you have been doing for them just because you choose to purchase a new tool to help you stitch it out. The same goes for if someone decides to add compuquilter to there machine the expense is there yes but when the people say these tools will pay for themselves they mean that you will increase the number of customers (do to more acurate designs) and the time saved by using them vs doing the old methods of marking etc... and not because you can charge your customers more when you use these new tools.

Hope this helps...

Joann

Ok, these comments are helping ! I didn't want to overcharge, but on the same hand they are expensive. I'm going to take a class before I buy. But, man oh man, I want them now ! In my neck of the woods simple [ete and meandering] go for .01. I have gotten a good customer base going and don't want to price myself out of customers. I know I am one of two quilters in the immediate area, and much lower than Jacksonville and Gainesville, as well as Tallahassee. So I guess the correct price would be .01. Maybe my prices, [or could it be my quilting]LOL brings me quilts from Chicago. Thanks for all the input ! Glenda

Because these templates make it so easy and are so fast, I also charge the same for them as for the edge to edge. This is for the king templates of course. For the other small templates, I charge like I would for custom because that is how I use them. The CL is so simple, I really don't think classes are needed but sometimes classes are fun.

Archived