quilt shops

Hi Nora--

After owning a retail business myself, I must say that EVERY quilt shop is for sale!!!! Hee hee! You just need the right day combined with the right price and it will be yours!

Seriously though, research, research, research. Contact a commercial real estate agent locally and work with him/her to see what's out there. You may need to start fresh with a new shop as opposed to an established one--that's difficult as your initial financial burden is huge. Leave your name at shops you may be interested in as you never know the story behind the scenes.

My area supports two shops in town (Olympia, Lacey, Tumwater--population about 150,000.) A third shop here always struggles and somebody will go out of business after about 3 years.

Also, nowadays a web presence is a must. Check out Bayside Quilting to see a nice website with mail order. The other shop is struggling with two employees and an unfriendly reputation. That'll kill ya for sure!

What you will need--

A big bag of money or serious borrowing ability.

Love of people--even nasty, cheap, grouchy people.

The knowledge that you will spend tremendous amounts of time working, thinking about work, and worrying about work.

What you will get--

Freedom to do it your way (yay!!)

Living among all that fabric (heavenly!)

Satisfaction as you grow the business.

Monetary benefits--you will figure them out.

Keep your eyes wide open and go for it if that is what you want. Do you plan to longarm on location? Customers love that! Good luck !

Linda Rech

Olympia

Archived