Divine Vine Panto

OK Judy, what is the devine vine panto. I went to the Willow Leaf Link but couldn't find it there. Could you post some pics of the ones you're doing over the weekend. I saw a picture on a previous post of a heart shaped vine (which I just loved), but she said she'd done it freehand.

Guest Linda S

Barb - not sure which pantos you were looking at on Jodi Beamish's site (willowleaf studio), but be assured that many of them in the "beginner" category are not dense and are really fun to do. Sprung, popcorn, inkblot, and wildflower should be very simple to do. I have both popcorn and wildflower and found I could do those within my first few weeks of having the machine. Give one or two of them a try -- I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Linda

Barb - not trying to tell you what to do but my recommendation would be to get a couple of pantos that aren't terribly dense but are still pretty and interesting. You may have to do a couple of practice pieces but at least you're pushing your limits and perfecting your skill at pantos.

I've never been very good at knowing my limits but in my opinion, most pantos aren't "hard" but some take longer to quilt than others because of their density. Don't be afraid to try them.

I didn't do pantos for years because I thought I couldn't! In fact, I think some of the ones that look easier are harder because the quilting is so sparse and mistakes show up so much more. The Divine Vine was very dense and I know there are a few places where my lines got a little close but because there's SO much quilting, imperfections don't show at all.

The reason I began doing pantos again and now I really like them every now and then is because some of them are so pretty. I'd get really bored doing really basic, simple pantos.

Why don't you choose one from Jodi's beginner list and try it. We're all here to help you!

Thanks for that Judy, tho I must admit, I took a big gulp when I saw how dense it is. Is there a trick to doing pantos like that. I have Linda Taylors DVD of her series, and she says she talks to herself as she's quilting. She says "point" each time she gets to a point, which allows her to pause for a fraction of a second and get a perfect point. (Sounds good to me). I've heard someone else say they look just ahead of the laser. I would think you'd need to be really "loose" to do the devine vine......sounds a bit racy doesn't it ;)

Kathy: I just do it. Each panto is different. Divine Vine kinda works in squares so it's a bit different from my other favorite pantos. It's just so pretty . . that keeps me enthused aout doing it. If I did pantos all day every day, I'd probably get bored and have to trick myself to stay motivated but I don't do that many of them so I think they're fun.

You'll find a Beginner Pack of patterns here:

http://www.longarmsupplies.com/PatternsBeginnerPak.htm

They range from very easy to a bit more challenging. There is a good cross-section of styles, and each one will teach you a different movement. PLUS, customers love them and they won't sit in a drawer, unused.

I'll be adding Donna Rheinarts' patterns, including Divine Vine, tonight. There are some nice coordinating border patterns too.

Archived