Machine is skipping stitches

JaceHennagir

I have recently bought a small machine quilting business. I have a Millenium. Midway through a quilt, the machine started skipping stitches. It is only so often, but it is obviously something that must be dealt with. I replaced the rotating hook and then the needle. The top tension seems fine. I have tried everything that I can think of, but nothing is working. I NEED HELP.

Thank You-

Jace Hennagir

Guest Linda S

Welcome Jace. If this is happening with your stitch regulator on, your wheels may be a bit too loose. Give Connie a call. I'm sure she can help you make the adjustments you need.

Linda

• 1 year later...

I am new here, but a mechanic of many years. Your problem as described is your hook to needle clearance. It should be adjusted properly to solve this. It is a very common problem.The hook must be adjusted so there is practically zero clearance but not deflecting the needle. Best of luck.

Hi Mal and welcome to our chat site. We do set the timing a little closer than most. We do want the needle to just ever so slightly deflect the needle. That way, no matter how you move your machine and the needle flexes, it won't flex too far away from the needle and thus having a skipped stitch.

Take care,

Welcome Mal:

Adding to Mark's post. The timing and hook spacing seldom is the problem. Due to the design of our machines (belt drive instead of gear drive) they do not just get out of time. Many machines have been in service for years without needing retiming. Timing problems generally are caused by operator errors. Sewing over pins, scissors, not installing the needle properly etc.

John

Archived