Tension Problems

I am a beginner with a Lenni Longarm. I adjust the tension so that the stitches look great. Fifteen minutes later, the back stitches are tight or the thread is breaking. If I get the tension to hold, quilt several lines with the pantograph and stop for the evening, the next time I turn the machine on, the stitches are off.  I do nothing but turn the machine off and on. Help!

Check to make sure your bobbin thread is not caught in the bobbin case handle ( the part you grab to take out the bobbin). Thread the bobbin and snap it into the hook without using the handle. I know I have all the thingies mislabeled but I hope you get my gist.

Audrey, sometimes the top thread doesn't feed smoothly off the cone or spool.  The thread when feeding off the spool gets embedded and then gets trapped/caught so it won't unwind evenly so therefor  your top thread is pulled too tight and breaks.  Try a different top thread, additionally the same scenario can happen with the bobbin thread. Sharon

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Marlene Wilbur said:

what does it mean when you can easily pull out top stitching on back side of quilt

You likely do not have the tension properly balanced.  The threads should lock in the middle of the quilt layers.  If you have "eyelashing" (straight thread on top or bottom, and the other thread looks like eyelashes coming off the straight thread), you need less tension on the straight thread and/or more tension on the thread creating the eyelashes.  

There are a lot of online posts and videos that address tension.  Search for "balanced thread tension" or "balanced thread tension longarm".