Wobbly Hartley Extended Base

Barb OMelia

I have just recently started to try out my extended base and do some straight line quilting. When I slide it onto the machine, the left front side seems to sit higher than the right front side. So when I am using the acrylic guide and push down on it , the opposite end raises up, catches the guide and sometimes prevents the machine from moving forward. I'm not using any extreme pressure to hold things in place. It seems pretty simple so I think I'm putting it on correctly....what am I doing wrong??:(

Barb --

I never did get my Hartley extended base to work well. Mine constantly caught one of its plastic edges or corners on the quilt backing and would then release, making jerky stitching lines when I was trying hard for something not jerky, of course.

I have been told that it will work correctly if you use some (2-3 or more) big washers to raise the roller heights 1/2" or so. I think the idea is to hold the quilt top higher so it doesn't catch on the pointy corners of that extended base.

I hadn't heard that suggested at the time, so I bought a different extended base from Donita Reeves website at www.lovetoquilt.com. To use it, you unscrew the plate the needle goes through and replace it with this extended base. I leave it on all the time. It's metal with a nice, smooth, rounded, beveled edge, so it never catches on the backing.

But to use the one you have, you might think about whether raising the rollers would remove the problem you're having. I don't know if it would help or not.

Mary Smart

Millenium

Vermillion SD

Guest Linda S

Barb - I know there was a post from Sherry Rogers a while back saying that she is working on a little template for the top of that base that will help it fit snuggly and even out the top. I don't know how far she and her team have gotten with it. My base is slightly loose, but it works just fine.

Linda

My Hartley base works great! It is level with the throat of the machine. It did wobble a bit. I fixed this by placing pieces of bathtub non-slip material to the sides of the base. I put small pieces on both sides of the base (on the inside, where it touches the sides of the throat) and no more wobble!

Teri

Hey Barb...

A another friendly quilter said to add some shelf liner on the edge with some double sided tape. I tried it over the weekend, and my Hartley Extended Based stayed on all the time while I was quilting a full size quilt.

It works... give it a try.

Barb Wetzel

Ivy Corner Quilting

Altoona, Iowa

I took off the cover on my thread cutter and added some thicker washers/spacers to raise the thread cutter plate to the same level as the needle plate. That helped cut down on things catching. The idea is the same as with Domestic machine quilting. Flat smooth surface, no impediments to interfere with the movement of quilting.

Archived