What do I do now ?

quiltingnanny

I just received a quilt from a 'little ole lady'. It's double knit ,

2 1/2 inch squares. Beautiful, but I really don't know what to do with it. She wants muslin on back, a meander, and no batting. I know I will have to float it, are there any other suggestions. Do I need a specific needle or thread? She brought a small spool of mono thread, but I turned that down. Thanks, Glenda

Glenda,

You poor child...yuckky for you. I would first tell her that you will need some type of batting in there or you are going to really feel the seams with it being a poly the seams I'm sure are pretty bummppppy. Floating won't be a problem, just keep the sides well pinned as you go and I pin the front to the roller as I don't have the cardboard piece that Sherry uses to clap the front down. Needle I would use my regular needles which in my case are MR4.5's which equal a 16 or 18 I think.

Thread use a good quality poly and go for it.

I wouldn't make the meandering very small I would use a medium to large one.

Muslin should work great, but since the double knit/poly isn't going to shrink I would pre-wash the backing first...and if you do get her talked into a batting I would use a thinner poly instead of cotton, you don't want very much shrinkage to happen.

Guest Linda S

I think you can do this either with a full or partial float, just don't put much tension on the quilt. As far as needle, I don't know if it would be better to do this with a regular needle or a ball point. Is it likely to snag? The mono thread might have been a good choice, as it is pretty tough and you'll probably need a good strong thread to do this quilt. Perhaps some So Fine would work. I generally use a 16 needle for just about everything.

Linda

No batting? Could you maybe even talk her into using something thin like Hobbs Thermore? Is it the the cost? the bulk? the idea of just wanting something cool and light like a summer quilt? You could try the "request" type of battings from Quilters Dream. When I was in AZ last time I saw a lot of that being used in quilts for people who just didn't need or want a warm quilt.

Thread shouldn't be a problem. Use whatever is appropriate for the quilt (probably NOT the monopoly) and a new sharp needle. Maybe a 3.5

I am such a sucker !!! It's for her son, and since I lost my youngest one recently I will bend over backwards for someone elses ! She doesn't want batting because this quilt is HEAVY. It's a king too. Did I forget to mention that ? Son is a missionary in Prague [ I think that's where he is], don't know what the weather is like there. What about a 6oz poly for batting ? Lightest one I have. Thanks for any and all help ! Glenda

Well, LOL, there we go. I re-read the replies above. And as usual, we give conflicting advise.

That's why there's always more than one good way to Quilt-A-Quilt!

Good luck with this one. I'm sure she will just be so please to have it finished.

Any poly batt would be lightweight enough not to add to the weight of the quilt itself and would certainly help with the quilting. You could consider using Polydown by Hobbs. It's very light and silky and would also give the quilt a "lift".

Originally posted by CucumberQuilting

Well, LOL, there we go. I re-read the replies above. And as usual, we give conflicting advise.

That's why there's always more than one good way to Quilt-A-Quilt!

I wouldn't ever call it conflicting advise....there is never a right or wrong way, but just like you said its what works for you. Its kinda like Potato or Spud...they both mash up just alike...just depends on where you live as to what you call them.

Archived