Top Thread Won't Catch Bobbin Thread

I'm about 2/3 of the way done with a king size quilt (of course, it happens to be for my son's wedding gift next weekend!), when the stitches started skipping. So I stopped last night and thought it just needed a new needle. After 3 hrs of switching needles, changing threads, blowing air and getting all the lint out, rethreading, etc. tonight; I'm looking for help here in the chat room. I'm a newbie, this is like my 4th quilt and have never had this problem. When I handcrank the wheel, it seems the thread on top seems to loop and the bobbin thread is never caught, so that I can pull it to the top. Any suggestions on what it could be? You immediate advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Pat B

Pat,

I'm not real "technically oriented" but let me list the things that come to my mind right off:

Make sure you have at least a couple of inches of thread hanging down from the bobbin case.

The bobbin thread should dangle off to the left side of the bobbin case.

Is your needle in correctly? I've been doing this two years, and about a month ago I put my needle in backwards. I had to get out my manual to check and see which way it goes in.:o

Take the bobbin case out and get down where you can see the needle as it passes down to the bobbin area. Turn the flywheel by hand. At the needles lowest point you should be able to see the whole eye of the needle, but just barely. If you can't see it or if you see more than the eye then you need to adjust the needle bar.

My last thought on it is the timing. The maintenance video is really helpful and so is the manual once you realize that it is showing things from an angle that you cant' look at without taking the machine all apart. Of course, the best thing to do is call APQS for help. Amy is really good at understanding our descriptions of "thingies". Of course, the best help is a DH or a DS that loves working on mechanical things and know the names of the "thingies"!

Phyllis

Sounds to me like the needle bar isn't comming down far enough,,,did you recently run over pins or azipper leader(if you have those)? this could cause the needle bar to be out of whack.

Did you get a manuel with your machine? it should say in there. Otherwise you will have to call APQS in the morning for them to walk you through it.

Joann

Pat,

Are you turning the hand wheel "clockwise"? When looking at the front of the machine, turn the fly wheel "up" on the left side, and/or "down" on the right. If you go counterclockwise, the top thread won't pick up.

If that doesn't solve your problem, call the toll free number at 1-800-426-7233 and ask for tech support. They can e-mail you photos and directions about timing, needle bar, etc.

Hope this helps!

Dawn

Pat,

You haven't answered Dawn yet so am assuming that either you have it fixed. The only thing I would add to what she said is that I have found with mine that if I have an extra long tail hanging down it does come up better than if I use only a smaller one.

I just wanted to let you know it would have to be something really really hard to cause the needle bar jump.....I've had my machine for almost 9 years and that is something that has never happened. I've had needles shatter in many many parts, but never never the needle bar move.

Let us know how things are going....I just hope you are up and running again.

I've knocked my needlebar out of place several times. I hadn't had my Liberty a week when I hit a clamp:o and knocked it out of place. I've also knocked it out of place on some thick seams. Its been a while since I've done that. I've learned how to avoid seams and to stay far away from my clamps! And pins!

If your Ultimate II is like the Liberty you have to open up the front and left side of the machine. At the front there is a hole that you are going to stick your screwdriver through to loosen the screw on the needlebar. You move the needlebar by turning the flywheel until you can get the screwdriver into the slot of the screw. Once you get a hold of the screw with the screwdriver loosen slightly. DO NOT TAKE THE SCREWDRIVER OFF OF THE SCREWHEAD UNTIL YOU GET IT ADJUSTED AND TIGHTENED AGAIN. If you do you will have to work with the flywheel again until you connect with the screw again. Its not as easy as it was before. Ask me how I know! I just prop my screwdriver up or keep a hand on it. Then look down in the bobbin area and adjust the needlebar until you can barely see the complete eye of the needle when the needle is at its lowest point. Tighten the screw on the needlebar. Now you can remove the screwdriver. Put the left side back on and then the front. I just put a couple of screws in each side until I see if the machine is going to work right. If it does, then I put in all the screws and tighten them up. An electric or battery operated screwdriver is really handy in this business.

If you are uncomfortable doing this call APQS and let someone talk you through it. Its really easy as long as you don't let go the screwdriver slip off of the screwhead.

Phyllis

Archived