M & M wheels

ednarob

I have M & M wheels on my Millie for quite a few years now but I am experiencing some drag when I quilt in a 45 degree direction. I clean the wheels regularly with rubbing alcohol and there are some black flakes on the q tip.  Has anyone ever had to replace the wheels..

The black flakes are oxidation from the aluminum carriage base, not material from the wheels. Not to say you don't need to replace them, but mine have had steady business-use daily for 9 years and so far no problems. The diagonal stitching can be tested by freehanding a big circle, slowly. If you feel drag all four of the diagonal sections and none at the horizontal/vertical, then you can investigate more. Wheels too tight and drag from your power cord can be looked at. Also, if you're stitching diagonals with a ruler, that, of course, can cause drag. But a freehand diagonal line will have a bit more drag because you are overcoming the natural ease of stitching an x/y axis. The machine WANTS to go horizontal or vertical and diagonals take more control and more of a push. If this is a really new problem, call APQS service or your dealer to troubleshoot. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...