hopping foot

I was watching Renae's DVD and noticed that her hopping foot is cut out in the front. I think this would be a very good idea as it would give better visability for the quilter; much like on a domestic machine. Has anyone tried cutting out their hopping foot. Would APQS customize a foot for me?

Sandra

Sandra,

APQS used to have the front part of the foot cut out. While this did slightly improve visibility, it greatly impacted where you could hold a ruler or template safely. A notched foot makes it difficult to hold a ruler along the front of the foot, forcing you to hold it only on the sides and back. This can create stress in your hands and back as you try to keep the ruler from slipping while still moving the machine.

My machine is old enough that I "grew up" with a foot that had no 1/4-inch lip. Using rulers was quite a chore then. I think I wore that hopping foot into a "V" by applying so much pressure so as not to let the ruler slip up on the foot!

As for the visibility part, think about painting the inside of your foot (and slightly up the shank) white (I used "White Out" but white fingernail polish or enamel would work, too). You'll be amazed at how much easier it is to see--especially the eye of the needle when it needs threading!

Happy Quilting!

Dawn

Dawn, interesting idea about painting the inside of the foot white. :) Perhaps it would be good to use a white paint that is designed specifically to adhere to metal? I would think that White Out or nail polish would wear off over time? Thanks for sharing your idea and the history about difficulties using rulers in the front of a hopping foot that has been notched out in the front. Lucky me...I learn so much here on this chat and I am so grateful for you all!

Hi Shana,

Use whatever you think would work. At the time, White Out was right behind me in the desk drawer, so it was the first thing I tried (I'm basically lazy and finding nail polish or paint would have required going up the stairs from the basement :))

The White Out lasted 3-4 years. Probably would have lasted even longer, but I switched out the "cut out front" foot for a full-height 1/4" foot last year, so I don't know how long its potential "staying power" was! Nothing ever got in there to scratch it or scrape it (except the tip of thread as I threaded a needle) so it worked for me.

If one routinely used a needle threader or tweezers to grab the tip of the thread as one threaded the needle, then I'd definitely go with a more permanent "paint".

Hope all is well up north!

Dawn

Archived