We all live with deadlines right? Mine is Sept. 8th when my first grand baby is due in Vienna. In the mean time my life has been totally interupted and working on this little quilt for the new baby has been my rock. My home is being upgraded to meet current hurricane codes. New windows, sheathing and heavy duty siding. The noise and dust is unbelievable! And thru it all I have kept my sanity by working diligently on this little gem. I have tried and feel successful in using many of the techiniques I have read about here on this forum. (I thank all of you wonderful folks for sharing them) They have made it most easy to get thru what I felt were many mistakes in planning and material choice. It was all done on my home machine.

The whole time wishing I have a long arm. I have two long arm quilters in my area now but to get on their list for them to quilt this little piece I would be late for the airport! So, I did it myself and thought I would share what I hope is one of many more to come.

Hi! Congratulations on your soon-to-come first grand child! I am glad that you have had a positive/happy diversion (quilting that baby quilt) so you can focus away from your home remodeling to keep you occupied and focused on your quilting project. What a wonderful gift to give to your grand child; a family treasure forever! :)

I just checked your webshots album and took a look at your "Austrian Bound" photos. I love the satiny/silky fabrics you used. It's so bright and colorful. I am glad to know that you did the entire thing (including the quilting) yourself. I think it has more meaning when it's done all by your self. Right? I feel that way about quilts. I quilted many many quilts using my DSM, and now I've got the longarm.

So, I am thinking...Grandma,,, I am thinking that perhaps you need to HAND DELIVER this quilt to Vienna yourself. I've been to Europe twice, but never to Vienna. That is one city that is on my "MUST SEE" list next time I go over. I would love to see more of eastern Europe and take a train trip on the Orient Express! I'd love to travel from Paris to Vienna, then Budapest, and end up in Istanbul. Wow, that's a trip of a lifetime! I've heard that the Orient Express trains are awesome trips but costs some bucks (riding on 1st class rail cars, luxury train, etc. all the way) it's spendy...but I am worth it...LOL!! ;) Some day when I quilt enough quilts to save enough Euros, I am taking that train trip to Istanbul. :)

Again, congratulations on a beautiful baby quilt. You should be very proud.

I have purchased tickets using my c/c points! Yeah! Two round trips. Going Aug.31 and will return Sept 21. Hopefully she will cooperate and have the baby then. She has lived there a little over a year with her new husband who is a national. Can't wait to see it all and hold a sweet little grandchild too.

I have to admit that I will probably never do another quilt with that type of material again. It literally unraveled when you worked with it. I really don't think it will go thru a washing well, but we will see. I used 5/8 seams and they didn't hold up well. I may have to add to the quilting just to hold it together!! It sure feels great though, all silky and bumpy! Gloria

Archived